Earthquakes in Chile and Japan

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fluvial

The Ditch Witch
Reaction score
Last edited by a moderator:
Be safe Dleg.

I just read that the tsunami (from Chile's earthquake) could also hit Japan... and this just after they've been hit with their own earthquake. See the last line in this report:

"There is the possibility that it could reach Japan without losing its strength," he said.

Tsunami races across Pacific, threatens Hawaii

Have no fear - nothing happened here. I read in the NOAA report that the Saipan DART buoy registered a 0.3 ft. tsunami. That's open ocean, though - it could have been bigger on shore. But, no one saw anything larger than usual. Many geologists in the past have said that the Marianas have little to fear from distant tsunamis, that they would just pass harmlessly by int he deep ocean. That tune has changed somewhat since the American Samoa Tsunami, but I think that's just because no one wants to say "safe".

Saw some videos of the tide rushing out yesterday. Interesting to say the least!

I read earlier that the Quake was so powerful that it shifted the earth's axis a bit, and sped the day up. Now that's some amazing stuff!

Wonder what algore would want us to do to fix this?

Back