Early 2023 PE exam

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheLostDesigner

Reaction score
I plan on taking the PE Civil-Structural exam in early 2023 and had a few questions after looking through the Exam Specifications provided by NCEES.
1. The exam is now computer based and closed book, but the NCEES Reference Handbook is provided along with other referenced design standards.
a. What is the NCEES Reference Handbook? Is this a resource that I need to find a copy of and get familiar with?
b. Are the other referenced standards provided in full, or only partially/required sections?
c. What navigation is available on the digital resources since we are no longer able to come prepared with highlights/tabs? Is it a searchable PDF?

2. The Exam Specification that NCEES provides states that it is applicable to the 2022 exams and also says that the specifications are updated every 5-7 years.
a. It seems likely then that the 2023 exams will be updated to more recent codes (some of the codes are over a decade old). When can I hope to see the specification for the 2023 exams?
b. Would the update be to IBC 2018 or 2021?

Thanks for any help! I would like to get started studying, but I don't want to study the wrong codes.

(I've attached the exam specification provided by NCEES)

Attachments

• Civ-Str-April-2022_r3.pdf
    287.7 KB · Views: 1
a. You can access the reference handbooks from your NCEES account. Just go to your dashboard after logging in and navigate to Common Tasks>Useful Documents> View Reference handbooks. See screenshot below.
1668115375643.png

b. I took the PE MDM and we only have one reference for that so not sure how you are able to access other materials.
c. The monitor screen is split, with the exam on one side and reference material on the other side. PDF is searchable but interface feels outdated and can be annoying to use.

2. Not sure, hoping to pass the exam in my 2nd attempt (Nov 21st).

a. See the answer above, you get it from NCEES.
b. References are provided in full except for OSHA which will only give you the applicable sections listed in the exam specifications.
c. What is said above, but I'll add that the window is resizeable. You should be extremely familiar with your codes before you go into the exam, as in you know exactly which chapter you'll need to go to for information. The search is extremely clunky so I would not rely on it too much. You'll also only be able to open one code or chapter at a time, depending on how the code is organized.

2. For both of these its just up to the whims of NCEES and when they can get new questions vetted and verified.

a. You can access the reference handbooks from your NCEES account. Just go to your dashboard after logging in and navigate to Common Tasks>Useful Documents> View Reference handbooks. See screenshot below.
View attachment 28380

b. I took the PE MDM and we only have one reference for that so not sure how you are able to access other materials.
c. The monitor screen is split, with the exam on one side and reference material on the other side. PDF is searchable but interface feels outdated and can be annoying to use.

2. Not sure, hoping to pass the exam in my 2nd attempt (Nov 21st).
Thank you for your response. I hope things went well for you yesterday! I hope you took a day or two to relax.

Adding some info beside other answers.
c. Some materials are searchable by chapter only. That requires you familiar with which chapter you should go with.
They have a function to draw a line. I think it is helpful when you looking for something in the design table with multiple lines.
And you only allow opening 1 reference at a time due to the program function.

2. I would say still stay on the current specification.
The previous statement was the specification for the 2022 exam. But they change to "The design standards included in the information below are effective as of January 2022." I couldn't say the spec won't change in 2023 but at least right now it is still valid.

You could email NCEES to verify. They reply very quick

Good luck with your exam!

Back