Dumping Direct and Cable TV

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK. Great responses. It is good to have geeks geniuses as friends.Am going to try Sling to see how it goes. We have Netflix so am out to explore Amazon Prime and Roku(???) to see if it would be good for us.

Thanks folks.

we converted our office that was being used as a guest room back to "an office"  this past weekend. with a cheap 40" Smart TV on the wall, It was a long day of running wires and cutting sheetrock, but the final product is nice, I need to get a new card for the PC so I can better switch between the standard PC monitor and the TV, but its been cool because we can watch all the movies and cable through the PC but also have the Netflix and such.. I also ran a cable through the wall and hooked it up to the cheap wal mart digital antenna for when we totally cut cable..

For what its worth my Comcast bill ( including internet) had creeped up to $225 so I called to cancel everything but internet (which for us would be $105/ month) but when I called to cancel they offered to leave my package and reduce the bill back to $155/month & that's with HBO.. but that price is only good for a year, but Ill take it..

It came to Charlotte, but not the outlying areas of Charlotte.  Which sucks, because I'd switch in a motherf*cking heartbeat.

OK. Great responses. It is good to have geeks geniuses as friends.Am going to try Sling to see how it goes. We have Netflix so am out to explore Amazon Prime and Roku(???) to see if it would be good for us.

Thanks folks.
Is there anything that Roku does or has that is not available on a Samsung smart TV?

It came to Charlotte, but not the outlying areas of Charlotte.  Which sucks, because I'd switch in a motherf*cking heartbeat.
This. But I'm not holding breath. I'd even switch to Verizon Fiber over TWC if given the opportunity. :(

Is there anything that Roku does or has that is not available on a Samsung smart TV?
It really depends on what you all watch. The Samsung Smart TV apps usually tend to be more "select" based on how much they pay them for advertising. The RoKu library has just about everything and continues to grow, regardless of their commercial affinity. 

Roku is lots of quantity but not very much quality... same for Netflix usually unless you know exactly what you want to watch you will waste half an hour surfing through their endless list of crap

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Roku is lots of quantity but not very much quality... same for Netflix usually unless you know exactly what you want to watch you will waste half an hour surfing through their endless list of crap

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This is me and the mrs. every Friday and Saturday night. 

Last edited by a moderator:
The nice thing about Netflix is that they continue to add more of their own series/programming, the overwhelming majority of which I would consider "pretty good", with only a few turds in the mix.

I got an Apple Tv on black friday.  I think it may have been a waste of money.  Mirroring the phone is pretty cool, but I don't see much need to do that.  Seeing videos, pics and music from itunes is cool, but I don't have much need for that either.  if we used Netflix it would be cool, but I can't justify more money for tv when we just don't watch that much anyways.  There are some cool apps and it looks like I can stream NBC (CBS wants a monthly fee) for free sort of, but I have to use my DirecTV account to log into them so cutting the DirecTV cord would screw that up.  There are some free game apps, but I have my phone and a PS3 for gaming, plus I'm not 13 so that's not much of a draw anymore.  Anybody got any good uses for this $150 chunk of plastic?  

43 minutes ago, goodal said:
I got an Apple Tv on black friday.  I think it may have been a waste of money.  Mirroring the phone is pretty cool, but I don't see much need to do that.  Seeing videos, pics and music from itunes is cool, but I don't have much need for that either.  if we used Netflix it would be cool, but I can't justify more money for tv when we just don't watch that much anyways.  There are some cool apps and it looks like I can stream NBC (CBS wants a monthly fee) for free sort of, but I have to use my DirecTV account to log into them so cutting the DirecTV cord would screw that up.  There are some free game apps, but I have my phone and a PS3 for gaming, plus I'm not 13 so that's not much of a draw anymore.  Anybody got any good uses for this $150 chunk of plastic?  

What was your original reason for buying one?  I can see it being useful if you don't have a smart TV so you can access Netflix, Hulu, etc.  You can also get watch purchased or rented itunes movies.

:dunno:   http://money.cnn.com/2015/09/09/technology/apple-tv/

Cincinnati Bell ran fiber, but I've not heard great things about it...price hikes, overblown bandwidth claims, etc...so we're still with Time Warner, but internet only.

if you have kids don't install a smart tv with youtube, you will never get them to do anything else but sit there and watch it all day

14 minutes ago, MetsFan said: What was your original reason for buying one?  I can see it being useful if you don't have a smart TV so you can access Netflix, Hulu, etc.  You can also get watch purchased or rented itunes movies. :dunno:   http://money.cnn.com/2015/09/09/technology/apple-tv/
Until you realize you can do all that for about $30 with Chromecast or Firestick.

Yep, I have a Chromecast on my non smart bedroom tv. I've been very happy with it.

Sent from my GT-I9505G using Tapatalk

if you have kids don't install a smart tv with youtube, you will never get them to do anything else but sit there and watch it all day
I've come very close to blocking youtube in my routers firewall.

I have smart tvs but hardly ever use the feature because navigating with the remote and no keyboard/mouse is a PITA.

Latest posts

Back