Drug Screening and Engineering

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was already working before they had be go in for all that the first time even though it was a requirement for the hire. So if I would have failed any the first time, they would have fired me. Now if I fail any of those it would be more of a shifting to a job title that doesn't require the fit for duty stamp thanks to the union.

ok I forgot the ekg test too. My primary dr loves getting all the results for tests he doesn't regularly request.

pee in a cup, full blood work up, physical, hearing test, vision test, pulmonary test, chest xray (every 3rd yr)...repeat every yr

Before coming over here, it was all that plus about 10 shots. 5 up one arm and 5 down the other...I looked like a pin cushion. Fortunately on my return trip I didn't have to do the xrays again.

BTW, if anybody ever recommends you get an Anthrax shot...DON'T...hurts like a SOB.

I had to go to a nearby clinic where I had to pee in a cup. The contents were then divided up into a couple different vials and sent off to a lab. We had to wait a couple weeks for the results to come back before I could start.

Uhhh...anytime I've had blood or piss work done, the results were ready in hours.

^^^ The clinic was only equipped to be a "collection" facility, and they had a couple central labs that everything had to be sent to. I didn't say it made sense, it's just how things transpired when I got tested.

My first job after college had the cups in the office. They would call you in, have you pee in a cup right there (the office had it's own bathroom), and test it in front of you. Pretty convenient for a company whose policy is to randomly test 5% of the staff each month.

I haven't had an engineering position (yet!) but working in HVAC/Construction field over the past 3 years they've always said they maintain they can request for one at any time. But I haven't had one as of yet. I've noticed alot of the labourers and installers get tested but usually not the engineers, crew leads/coordinators, electricians etc.

Course, I do work in California... in the green industry.

I have had to get a physical and/or TB test a couple times though.

pee in a cup, full blood work up, physical, hearing test, vision test, pulmonary test, chest xray (every 3rd yr)...repeat every yr
Before coming over here, it was all that plus about 10 shots. 5 up one arm and 5 down the other...I looked like a pin cushion. Fortunately on my return trip I didn't have to do the xrays again.

BTW, if anybody ever recommends you get an Anthrax shot...DON'T...hurts like a SOB.
Jeb, does the Anthrax shot still feel like it's the consistancy of Elmer's glue? I swear when I went to the sand box that the Anthrax shot was the worst shot I had ever had, or had since...it stayed in a lump under the skin for like a week or so and hurt

Jeb, does the Anthrax shot still feel like it's the consistancy of Elmer's glue? I swear when I went to the sand box that the Anthrax shot was the worst shot I had ever had, or had since...it stayed in a lump under the skin for like a week or so and hurt
Yep...it isn't the actual shot that hurts, it's the fun burning afterwards that really sucks.

Back