do States have different passing scores?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stuckinjersey

Reaction score
thought I knew the answer to this, but I have gotten conflicting answers from everyone I talk to.

Does each State have the right to dictate the pass score? Can New Jersey have a different pass score than Pennsylvania?

thanks! I wonder if you can find out what the pass score is for your State. I have known people to take the test in other States citing that "New Jersey" is tougher.

I also heard conflicting reports about curves. I am under the impression that there is no such thing. based on the raw score percentages I received from the last time I took it, I got 52 out of 80 questions correct for like a 65%..., if there was a curve, I think I would have passed.

thanks! I wonder if you can find out what the pass score is for your State. I have known people to take the test in other States citing that "New Jersey" is tougher.
I also heard conflicting reports about curves. I am under the impression that there is no such thing. based on the raw score percentages I received from the last time I took it, I got 52 out of 80 questions correct for like a 65%..., if there was a curve, I think I would have passed.
the test realted stuff isn't harder in NJ, it is the experience, recommedation and related requirements to get the licence that are more stringent in NJ.

I think with minor exceptions (Georgia allowance for military) the states use the same NCEES cut score. Otherwise it would be difficult for comity purposes.

I think with minor exceptions (Georgia allowance for military) the states use the same NCEES cut score. Otherwise it would be difficult for comity purposes.
Is it right to say that *ALL* states use the score provided by NCEES - which is a cut score (not a raw score) where 70 or above is PASS? At least one state (GA) uses the score differently than almost all the others and lowers the PASS bar to 65 (still a cut score not a raw score) for veterans.

Is it right to say that *ALL* states use the score provided by NCEES - which is a cut score (not a raw score) where 70 or above is PASS? At least one state (GA) uses the score differently than almost all the others and lowers the PASS bar to 65 (still a cut score not a raw score) for veterans.
Um, are you commenting on my post? I am completely baffled by your comment. The word ALL appears nowhere in my post, but the word Georgia does.

I've heard imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. Since your post says about exactly the same thing as mine, I'll accept the compliment.

If what you are saying is that all the states use the cutscore from NCEES but at least one makes a modification but still uses it, well, I guess that's precisely true. But that is extreme semantic hair splitting. I don't think the OP has this in mind - he/she thinks it'll be easier in the next door state to pass the test, for any applicant. I highly doubt it.

Last edited by a moderator:
i do believe that all states follow NCEES recommended cut score, and it is 70% of the total points. Having said that it might be possible there are some exceptions. But I dont believe that its graded on a curve.

The last Oct 2010 PE, there were only 10 PE Examinees on the site where I wrote it, and most of them took it more than once, most of them are in their middle age, they say everytime they failed, they thought it was close, but then again in my mind they were not able to reach the NCEES recommended cut score.

Hope I was able to pass.

and it is 70% of the total points
No. Sigh.

Nobody knows this number for any given exam.

well I'll make my own conclusions, how come these people failed a lot of times, I dont believe everytime they write this exam they arent improving, they studied hard as much as they can, but unfortunately couldnt make the cut score NCEES marked up, if it is set lower than 70%, for sure they can pass easily. I also would think NCEES would to lower the cut score, a lot of people will pass that dont deserve to become a PE.

well I'll make my own conclusions, how come these people failed a lot of times, I dont believe everytime they write this exam they arent improving, they studied hard as much as they can, but unfortunately couldnt make the cut score NCEES marked up, if it is set lower than 70%, for sure they can pass easily. I also would think NCEES would to lower the cut score, a lot of people will pass that dont deserve to become a PE.
Good idea. Make things up. THey explain this process on the NCEES web site.

http://www.ncees.org/Exams/Pages/Scoring.php

But suit yourself.

Um, are you commenting on my post? I am completely baffled by your comment. The word ALL appears nowhere in my post, but the word Georgia does.

I've heard imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. Since your post says about exactly the same thing as mine, I'll accept the compliment.

If what you are saying is that all the states use the cutscore from NCEES but at least one makes a modification but still uses it, well, I guess that's precisely true. But that is extreme semantic hair splitting. I don't think the OP has this in mind - he/she thinks it'll be easier in the next door state to pass the test, for any applicant. I highly doubt it.
Um, I'm not commenting on anyone's post. I'm asking a question in the context of what you wrote (and so gave the requisite quote). I'm asking if it's right to make a distinction that NCEES provides a score and it's up to each state to do with that score what they want - but they can't change the score.

If you're willing to trade bafflement for compliment, I'll gladly delete my post! Otherwise, I hope this post finds you in a better frame of mind.

Um, I'm not commenting on anyone's post. I'm asking a question in the context of what you wrote (and so gave the requisite quote). I'm asking if it's right to make a distinction that NCEES provides a score and it's up to each state to do with that score what they want - but they can't change the score.

If you're willing to trade bafflement for compliment, I'll gladly delete my post! Otherwise, I hope this post finds you in a better frame of mind.
I'm still relatively baffled, and my frame of mind is quite fine. If this rhetorical distinction is critical to you, I'll say I agree. Because as far as actual meaning and content, I think I said the same exact thing in my first post. With a minor addition that in most cases I believe the states use the NCEES supplied cutscore without any adjustment, even for special situations.

anyway, I think I agree with you.

Spend some time and read through the posts on this site. Tons of answers to all of your questions.

Good idea. Make things up. THey explain this process on the NCEES web site.
http://www.ncees.org/Exams/Pages/Scoring.php

But suit yourself.
What's the over/under on number of times you will have this argument during this waiting period? My guess is 10.
At least. As many times as somebody posts a fairly tale and I see it. And I don't consider it an argument when I post facts off the NCEES website and somebody else channels a Ouija Board.

I just read NCEES website, it says "minimal competence in that discipline" so this equates to the NCEES recommended cut score, but they only figure this out in every examination but the exact numerical figure is unknown and thus variable, and only the subject matter committee/exam experts sets it.

Back