DK's Yak Adventures

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dark Knight

Silent Guardian
Reaction score
Well, my wife is sold on the kayaking thing so we went and did buy another kayak. This time a tandem SOT(Pelican Apex 130T...

I know that she really does not want me to go alone for reasons we already know. But I welcome her concerns and saw a chance to do things together. Something that we do not do as frequent as it should be.

We decided to go to Wekiwa Spings State Park(or is it Wekiva State Park) for the maiden voyage of our new kayak. We did launch around 9:30 AM and start paddling down stream on Wekiva River to the confluence of Rock Springs Run. The plan was to paddle upstream for 90 minutes and then let the stream take us back to Wekiva River. Our first sighting was an alligator. Not a big one. It was trying to sun himself but it was overclioud so I have no clue what the heck he was doing there.

Just ten minutes after we started, in a river bend, our trip almost ended. I put my right side paddle into the water and as soon as I did it an alligator just,3 feet from the yak, did a huge splah and swam away from us. I did not see it until he moved and the water was cristal clear!!!!!We scared him and he did scare the heck of us. As we paddled downstream the poor beast showed his head out of the water and started grunting(????...if that is the correct term). We almost had a heart attack but the yak was stable and we did not tip over. I asked her if she wanted to go back but the brave woman said NO. I was hoping she said yes.

After that everything was awsome. No more incidents and we had the river just for us. It was an awsome experience. It was a short one since it is our first time and we need more experience before doing longer trips. She asked to turn around after just 45 minutes in the water. But when we rested she asked to go back for a few more minutes. It was then we she went bananas. There was a huge(sorry...this might be relative) gator just floating and wifey just had a field day taking pics of the big boy. Then we found baby gators and she went crazy shooting pics. I reminded her that Mama Gator had to be close. My woman is dangerous with a camera.

It was a super day. We enjoyed it. Looking forward to do it again. I am posting pics in my Facebook page. Feel free to take a look.

(Pictures removed to post some more from another trip)

Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome! Sounds like the kayaks were a great investment. The gators would freak me out....

^ that would definitely take some getting used to. But you probably have stuff in your utility belt to deal with pesky gators.

glad the kayaks are working out. sounds like a great time!

Looking at those aligators in relation to the size of the kayak puts me in mind of the old movie quote: "Your'e going to need a bigger boat".

Awesome. If I ever move anywhere with water (ie WA or OR), a boat or two will be on the short list for new toys.

Awesome. If I ever move anywhere with water (ie WA or OR), a boat or two will be on the short list for new toys.
I've got the water part worked out, just lacking sufficient cheddar. I needs me a fatty raise.

I did not wait for the fatty raise. Someone told me to live my life and that is what I am doing. I always wanted to do this and never did it, waiting for a fatty money to come. Most of you already know what happened last Fall. That was my cue. Now I am going all out, not all crazy out, but all out.

I think that's smart. You can have a mini vacation every day after work. :woot:

people save up all year to fly to florida take a vacation like that too, so :bio: I say!

I did not wait for the fatty raise. Someone told me to live my life and that is what I am doing. I always wanted to do this and never did it, waiting for a fatty money to come. Most of you already know what happened last Fall. That was my cue. Now I am going all out, not all crazy out, but all out.
This.

No fatty raises here, just fatty paycuts. Nonetheless, there are already 5 pair of skis in the house and 5 bikes (4ea are mine), with the expected purchases by the time winter rolls around, there'll be 7 pair of skis and 7 bikes...although one of those pair of skis will be out the door once a buyer is found. You do what you have to do to enjoy life while you can. I may not have a giant, awesome TV or a BMW or live in the best neighborhood, but what I've got helps me be happy.

DK

I need a new pair of boots if you Dan wrestle one of those gators back to the car?

Looks like a lot of fun man. Minus those Huge gators......

I think that's smart. You can have a mini vacation every day after work. :woot:
people save up all year to fly to florida take a vacation like that too, so :bio: I say!
Amen. Working on that.

This.
No fatty raises here, just fatty paycuts. Nonetheless, there are already 5 pair of skis in the house and 5 bikes (4ea are mine), with the expected purchases by the time winter rolls around, there'll be 7 pair of skis and 7 bikes...although one of those pair of skis will be out the door once a buyer is found. You do what you have to do to enjoy life while you can. I may not have a giant, awesome TV or a BMW or live in the best neighborhood, but what I've got helps me be happy.
I think you understand why I am doing this.

DK
I need a new pair of boots if you Dan wrestle one of those gators back to the car?

Looks like a lot of fun man. Minus those Huge gators......
Do not hold your breath waiting for me to wrestle a gator. Not going to happen.

Went back today with a good friend of mine. It was sunny and crowded. Only saw one gator(a little one in a log), three otters playing, turtles in and out the water, a Blue Heron and a Yellow Crowned Night Heron. Not too much wild life.

Have to say I was more relax today than yesterday. Looking forward to the newt weekend. :woot: :bio:

Went back today with a good friend of mine. It was sunny and crowded. Only saw one gator(a little one in a log), three otters playing, turtles in and out the water, a Blue Heron and a Yellow Crowned Night Heron. Not too much wild life.
Have to say I was more relax today than yesterday. Looking forward to the newt weekend. :woot: :bio:
yeah, that was nothing ;)

yeah, that was nothing ;)
Yikes. You are right Cement. Sorry about that since did sound like showing off. The thing is that in the area I kayaked the last two days it is not uncommon to see, among lots of different birds, deers, black bears, hawks, and eagles. I have not seen any of those, or maybe do not know how to look yet.

The otters were fun too watch.

There's a place I like to go canoeing along the Concord River that is awesome for seeing aquatic birds. I saw a crane there that flew right over us looking like a friggin' pterodactyl. The wing span was incredible.

I really love wildlife viewing. I can't wait for vacation in a couple weeks!

Sounds like you had a good time DK! I don't think I would like seeing something in the water that's bigger than me when I'm kayaking. That would freak me out pretty good.

Keep enjoying it!

Well, another visit to Wekiwa Springs State Park yesterday. That is my third trip there in one week. This one was not so exciting. Too many people means wild life will hide. But it worked pretty good as kayaking practice. Now I am ready to move to another area this week.

*****EDITED...PICS DELETED*******

That looks awesome!

I enjoyed the "not too much wildlife" statement, following your description of about 5 things I have never seen before. LOL.

Back