Digital camera vs Camcoder

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arada

Reaction score
I recently bought a panasonic digital camera with 12x optical zoom which also records video in HD format.

I have to test drive all the features yet. I am a big fan of all-in-one tech.

Did anyone take a digital camera video feature as a substitute for camcoder? I hate to carry both when travelling. :p10940623:

Last edited by a moderator:
the only trouble is the memory involved w/ video. You'd have to swap out mem cards everytime, switching between video card & photo card, unless you don't take alot of still photos. I'm in the market for a digital camcorder (dedicated). Their phys size is akin to point & shoots now anyways too.

Yeah, I see. I got 8GB SD card which may record upto 1.25hr video. they have 32GB SD which is a bit pricey. I think SD (microSD) card might be the future of memory technology, though. no need to carry around junk external hard drive and so..

I bought Sony HDR SR-11 a few months back. I wanted this particular model as it stores the data (video & pictures) on a 60 GB hard drive. That's a lot of space and no memory cards. Of course, there is a slot for memory cards if you want to record on it.

Beyond the storage thing, I loved the quality of the recording and the features and the ease of use. You can't go wrong with Sony. However, this model is discontinued (you can still find this one on ebay) and a newer model is out which I don't feel is equivalent to the one that I have. They took out a couple of features (strange). I don't use my camcorder for pictures that much. I use a smal 12 MP, 5X Optical Sony camera or 12 MP,10X Opt. Panazonic Lumix. That's just me.

I thought I shouldn't dig deep into my pocket just for an amateur video recording. and that's why I decided to stick with my engineering financial judgment :D

Don't u think panasonic lumix zs3 is sound enough for a typical amateur video? Digital hdd camcorders are my favorites. I was also inclined to buy Sony 80GB hdd camcoder but thought may be i should hold off... i think that's how i roll

I bought Sony HDR SR-11 a few months back. I wanted this particular model as it stores the data (video & pictures) on a 60 GB hard drive. That's a lot of space and no memory cards. Of course, there is a slot for memory cards if you want to record on it.
Beyond the storage thing, I loved the quality of the recording and the features and the ease of use. You can't go wrong with Sony. However, this model is discontinued (you can still find this one on ebay) and a newer model is out which I don't feel is equivalent to the one that I have. They took out a couple of features (strange). I don't use my camcorder for pictures that much. I use a smal 12 MP, 5X Optical Sony camera or 12 MP,10X Opt. Panazonic Lumix. That's just me.

All of the cameras that now record HD video have been given less-than-stellar reviews on the video side. This includes some of the more expensive offerings like the high end Canons.

The family just gave me a flip video camera for Christmas. It was a complete surprise. It's a pretty neat toy. It will record 120 minutes of video and is the size of a typical point and shoot camera. I believe it is only standard video resolution so full size on a computer monitor gets a little grainy. There is a USB adapter that flips out the side and it automatically loads the flip software if the computer doesn't have it. Zoom is digital and only something like ~2x to 4x (it has a fixed lens).

pretty cheap, too. This is the one I got.

flip Ultra video camera

The family just gave me a flip video camera for Christmas. It was a complete surprise. It's a pretty neat toy. It will record 120 minutes of video and is the size of a typical point and shoot camera. I believe it is only standard video resolution so full size on a computer monitor gets a little grainy. There is a USB adapter that flips out the side and it automatically loads the flip software if the computer doesn't have it. Zoom is digital and only something like ~2x to 4x (it has a fixed lens).

flip Ultra video camera

Had this flip video camcoder in my shopping cart @ amazon.com, but was not certain whether i was gonna like the fixed lens feature (no optical zoom)

how do you like it so far?

All of the cameras that now record HD video have been given less-than-stellar reviews on the video side. This includes some of the more expensive offerings like the high end Canons.
This was several years ago, but when we were looking at video cameras we looked at one that was a video camera/digital camera in one. In the end we determined that you end up with a mediocre video camera and a mediocre digital camera.

flip Ultra video camera
yeah, this is what i'm considering getting

I have only used it once so far at my son's hockey game.

We got a good clip of the game winning goal. I'd post the clip so you can see the quality, but I can't seem to do it. I'll send it to VT and maybe he can add it.

It's super easy to use. My wife forwarded the clip to a couple of the parents and they are on the way to Best Buy to pick one up.

Last edited by a moderator:
This was several years ago, but when we were looking at video cameras we looked at one that was a video camera/digital camera in one. In the end we determined that you end up with a mediocre video camera and a mediocre digital camera.
I agree, seldom have i seen or heard of a device that can do both picture and video at high quality levels

If you are satisfied with so-so quality then an all-in-one device isn't a bad idea. It certainly is convenient to not have to keep up with multiple, bulky devices. If you want excellent picture or video quality then I'd advise getting separate devices. It's really a matter of preference though.

Do you guys really think 3x optical zoom is good enough for a camcoder? that's the main downside I noticed on the flip camcoder. I am no expert on camcoders/ camera.

3x digital zoom sounds like an iphone lens :D

obviously optical zoom is the most desirable. 3X might be OK depends on what you're trying to capture. Remember zoom on a video camera may be your enemy unless you're really stable or are using a tripod. Watching a zoomed image can be a real struggle if the image is not stable.

digital zoom is somewhat of a misnomer because you can get the same zoom after recording depending on the viewing software.

obviously optical zoom is the most desirable. 3X might be OK depends on what you're trying to capture. Remember zoom on a video camera may be your enemy unless you're really stable or are using a tripod. Watching a zoomed image can be a real struggle if the image is not stable.
digital zoom is somewhat of a misnomer because you can get the same zoom after recording depending on the viewing software.
I agree. actually I noticed that the flip video camcoder doesn't have an optical zoom, but 2x digital zoom. for a price tag of lower $200's i have no courage to bet my $$ on it. I wish it had optical zoom and decent battery life.

I agree. actually I noticed that the flip video camcoder doesn't have an optical zoom, but 2x digital zoom. for a price tag of lower $200's i have no courage to bet my $$ on it. I wish it had optical zoom and decent battery life.
yep my Flip has a 2x digital. not great for sporting events/concerts/etc. but for home stuff, (family parties, weddings, documenting your kids) and panoramic views it's great. I think my Ultra with 120 minutes recording time and 2.5 hours of life on 2AA batteries is just fine. there is a rechargeable battery pack available. On Amazon the Ulttra 2nd generation 120 is $120.00. not a lot of money.

Back