Did anyone pass STR1?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

scottiesei

Just curious, I have had several people tell me my % were high and would like to compare. Do they give you a break down if you pass? Maybe a hand score would be an option. Those erasers sucked.

I'm pretty sure you'll get it if you take the CE structural next time... that's a lot easier than the STR 1

I took the STRI in October and failed. I took the Civ/Str this time and it was A LOT easier. Highly recommend taking to get PE.

What is the procedure to obtain the S.E. registration? it's not clearly stated in the FBPE page... do we need to take both STR I & II? how about experience? or is just exams?

It all depends on the state.

Most states do not have the S.E. license (yet).

Some states require both STR-I and STR-II exams.

Other states require STR-I, STR-II and a state specific exam.

I thought about that but I have VERY limited Civil experience.
That's why I took Environmental, even though civil might be more versatile in the long run.

I never had any classes on structures, concrete, etc. I could pass the PM session in WR or Envl, but I'd have to teach myself half the morning stuff from scratch. ;)

Which state has an additional state exam besides the STR I & II exams? I know that Illinois and California require the STR II exam to practice structural engineering. Also, to be part of the "model law" engineer you need to pass both exams, right? I have a feeling that down the road more states will require the STR II exam, which is why I'm going to take it soon. What is the FBPE site?

That would suck to take (and pass) the civil PE with structural, only to have your state switch the requirements to only STR I or II. If you doubt that would happen, look at Illinois.

I think Washington has a STR-III exam. In California I think you have to pass a civil exam along with a seismic and surveying exam to even call yourself a PE. At least that's what I heard, and I'm glad I'm electrical!

That would suck to take (and pass) the civil PE with structural, only to have your state switch the requirements to only STR I or II. If you doubt that would happen, look at Illinois.
When that happened in IL, did any of the CE/PE's that did structural work for a long time get "grandfathered" in as SE's?

That would suck to take (and pass) the civil PE with structural, only to have your state switch the requirements to only STR I or II.  If you doubt that would happen, look at Illinois.
When that happened in IL, did any of the CE/PE's that did structural work for a long time get "grandfathered" in as SE's?
I don't think they automatically got SE's in the grandfathered sense. I want to say that a structural PE can stamp buildings up to 10,000 sq. ft., but anything over needs to have a SE. The one structural PE I knew in Illinois also had his architect licence and didn't have to take the STR II to become a SE. In Illinois for some reason they still let architects seal structural drawings no matter the size. But that was a couple of years ago. I could be wrong now.

in FL, after you pass the STR I you get a certificate that says S.E.?? any experience requirements? if you have a FL PE, does it matter at all?

In Florida, there is no SE or PE difference. A PE can do whatever he or she feels they are competent in.

I think Washington has a STR-III exam. In California I think you have to pass a civil exam along with a seismic and surveying exam to even call yourself a PE. At least that's what I heard, and I'm glad I'm electrical!
California also has a strucural III exam as well as the info you posted to get a Civil license. Civil engineers can do most structural work in CA.

Latest posts

Back