Detroit's worse than I thought

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The non-friable stuff (siding, shingles, etc...) is alright as long as you don't put it through a blender and snort it.

^Yeah, but it is like aliens landed and the decontamination team came out when that stuff is being removed. I understand its a problem for folks in daily contact with the dust, but for the vast majority of the populace, that's a non-issue.

So, Detroit filed for bankruptcy today, to reorganize its $18.5 billion in debt. This has been 30 years coming, should be interesting. Largest municipal bankruptcy ever.

I heard a quote on the radio from a resident of Detroit that [paraphrasing] "it sucks that the city had to declare bankruptcy, plus they can't even get reliable bus routes to run." Talk about missing the point.

I think the retirees are going to have to realize that x% of current pension is better than 0%.

But their lawyers who are working on their own in the retirees' best interest, will do everything they can to convince them otherwise.

flint.jpg

Ah, good ol' Dort Highway. Good scrap yards over there.

Sure didn't want to be in that area after dark though.

I know several guys who went to Kettering Univ. and always stated that they would take the tunnels across campus rather than walk in the open.

I sure don't miss my days doing start-ups at the Detroit Chrysler axle plant. We were told 3 things when arriving. Don't p#ss anyone off, don't leave the plant alone after 10pm, and make sure to stay at least 20 mi outside of town. When I first heard this, I had sort of a stunned look wondering if I would get some sort of extra hazard pay or something. LOL

I'm so glad I didn't go to kettering

They keep the campus itself pretty safe, but yeah you wouldn't want to hang out in "town." Ten miles from Flint is pretty nice though.

I sure don't miss my days doing start-ups at the Detroit Chrysler axle plant. We were told 3 things when arriving. Don't p#ss anyone off, don't leave the plant alone after 10pm, and make sure to stay at least 20 mi outside of town. When I first heard this, I had sort of a stunned look wondering if I would get some sort of extra hazard pay or something. LOL

My brother worked down that way for a while. His work van had a bullet hole in it. The story is his coworker was driving in Detroit when a pedestrian walked right out in front of him. The driver honked and flipped off the guy and got shot at in return.

Our homicide rate is 1.5 per year...with many years seeing 0. Usually the people killed know the person killing them. Hmm...it's almost like murder needs a date rape equivalent...

And everything I needed to know about Flint I learned from Michael Moore when I was forced to watch the film in 10th grade.

Back