Detroit's worse than I thought

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Portland's land use restrictions and mass transit plans are interesting. Not my cup of tea, but it is interesting to see how it has worked and what the consequences have been over the years.

I'm not sure the fifty years within the city limits thing is going to work, but who knows.

Thought the Capt might find this interesting: http://www.marketwatch.com/story/out-of-money-detroit-cuts-back-fights-back-2012-08-28

The most alarming effect of the population exodus is the huge inventory of abandoned and derelict buildings stretched out over a city that geographically is larger than Manhattan, Boston and San Francisco combined. Entire neighborhoods are hollowed out. Detroit has from 40,000 to 70,000 abandoned buildings, many of which have become havens for drugs and other criminal activity. Bing promises to tear down 10,000 buildings by the end of next year.

Some interesting comparisons to draw. . . the population of South Carolina is about the same as Metro Detroit.

Looks like the Columbia, SC city budget is $250 million. . .scale that up to a population of 1 million and it would be about $2 billion, so you can see why when the city of Detroit shrank 40% the deficit and debt climbed.

Also pretty easy to see why property taxes are so high.

^^FWIW, Columbia is on the same track (which is why I don't live there), and is frequently compared to Detroit in the media outlets comment sections.

I'm guessing it is contract negotiation time???

DETROIT (WWJ) – The men and women of the Detroit Police Department believe the city is too dangerous to enter, and they want citizens to know it.

Detroit Police Officer Association (DPOA) Attorney Donato Iorio said officers are holding the “Enter At Your Own Risk” rally at 3:30 p.m. Saturday in front of Comerica Park to remind the public that the officers are overworked, understaffed, and at times, fearful for their lives.

“Detroit is America’s most violent city, its homicide rate is the highest in the country and yet the Detroit Police Department is grossly understaffed,” Iorio told WWJ’s Kathryn Larson. “The DPOA believes that there is a war in Detroit, but there should be a war on crime, not a war on its officers.”
http://detroit.cbslo...e-for-visitors/

Last edited by a moderator:
“These are the men and women who we look to protect us… and police officers can’t protect you if they’re not there. Officers are leaving simply because they can’t afford to stay in Detroit and work 12 hour shifts for what they are getting paid… These police officers are beyond demoralized, these officers are leaving hand over fist because they can no longer afford to stay on the department and protect the public,” he said.
I'd say so.

Looks like Detroit is gearing up to go bankrupt.

Even as the state Treasury prepares to begin another financial review of Detroit's books, a plan is being solidified in the governor's office that would guide Michigan's largest city through what is being called a managed bankruptcy.

The working concept, still evolving, assumes that the state's financial review would find severe financial distress in Detroit, that Mayor Dave Bing and City Council would be unable to push through overdue restructuring, and that the process would culminate in appointment of an emergency financial manager under Public Act 72.

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20121207/OPINION03/212070365#ixzz2ENuXExmK

The Detroit city government has been notoriously corrupt for decades, and while Mayor Bing has been trying to change things he can only do so much with the council. Perhaps going through bankruptcy can change things, but we'll see.

Detroit has been - as they say in public management - "kicking the can." The council has avoided making tough decisions and cuts, instead telling residents what they want to hear. Then new council comes in and does the same thing until their term is up.

Well, the can has been kicked as far as it can go.

Back