Definition of Engineering

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peele1

Reaction score
I've been working for more than 10 years, after passing the FE/EIT exam, and graduating from an accredited school.

I've not been able to locate a good definition of what work will meet the definition of engineering.

Can someone point me to the definition?

Thanks in advance.

I've been working for more than 10 years, after passing the FE/EIT exam, and graduating from an accredited school.

I've not been able to locate a good definition of what work will meet the definition of engineering.

Can someone point me to the definition?

Thanks in advance.
At the end of the day, the state in which you applying for licensure determines whether your experience meets requirements. As an example (just for my state, yours may vary!!!) here is an example:

As used in this part and parts 1800.xxx, 1800.xxxx, and 1800.xxxx, qualifying experience consists of varied, progressive, nonrepetitive, practical experience at engineering work, developing the ability to apply the theoretical knowledge gained during academic training in making sound judgments in solving engineering problems. The varied experience must include increments of design, planning, technical specification, codes and standards research and analysis, engineering economics, safety, observation, and inspection of construction of products. Experience shall be written in detail and submitted with the application for evaluation and approval by the board.

As long as you did some kind of engineering (where the job description entails that you need engineering knowledge) work I wouldn't worry too much. Each board has definitions on what they expect and it is a mixture. The definitions range from maintenance, design, planning.... and assuming you do one type of work (i.e. consulting) your experience always will favor one or two specific sections at the expense of others. I don't think they expect one single person to fulfill each criterium. You only could do that if you had worked in a different industry every 6 months :)

you should read your applicable rules.

Your references should kind of match your experience.

what did you work as?

Back