Cut score question.

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ndekens

Reaction score
I was looking at the online data in California all the way back to 1999 and from 1999 - 2005 they posted the cut scores.

Now for the exams from 2001 - 2005 they just posted a genaric 70 out of 100. But the earlier 99 - 2000 exams they posted 48 out of 80 as the cut score.

So since 48/80 is only 60% and our test are the 80 question type tests im wondering if we only need 48 out of 80 to pass?

So has anyone around hear got more then 48 on there electrical PE recently and not passed? The closest I have ever got is a 46.

It all depends. Not all exams are made equal.
Yes I understand that, however the Electrical PE has been a total of 80 questions for a long time now. Now say that you need a 70% to pass, however 48/80 is only 60% and 56/80 is 70%. So lets say ncees takes each test and throws in 56-48= 8 questions that they are going to test out as test questions.

Assuming when they grade the test you get none of those 8 questions correct and still get a 48/80 you would pass. But if you get some of those 8 questions correct but not at least 48 of the others could you theoretically get a score above 48 and not pass? or would they have to give you points for thoses test questions that they are trying out?......it gets confusing.

test questions??? All of them are graded and adjusted if necessary. I don't think they throw out any questions.

Check out their write-up on scoring: http://www.ncees.org/Exams/Pages/Scoring.php it should answer some of your questions.

If one of their question is not worded properly or wrong, they give credit for multiple answers. You still get credit if you picked the one of the right choices.

Personally if you also look at some of the diagnostic reports, you will noticed that all questions are considered.

test questions??? All of them are graded and adjusted if necessary. I don't think they throw out any questions.

Check out their write-up on scoring: http://www.ncees.org...ges/Scoring.php it should answer some of your questions.

If one of their question is not worded properly or wrong, they give credit for multiple answers. You still get credit if you picked the one of the right choices.

Personally if you also look at some of the diagnostic reports, you will noticed that all questions are considered.
So has anybody got 48 or more on the electrical pe and not passed?

Time to post it:

Stopit.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Someone on this board reported getting a 50/80 and failing. I'm guessing 52 is probably the minimum score where you have a decent chance of passing.. but I'm sure it varies. I don't think anyone doing better than 54 would fail though.

If I try to interpret the average passing scores based on how many I got correct, it looks like somewhere around 51-52 would be close.

Highly subjective way to guess the passing score, but what else do I have to do while we all wait.....

aim to get 56 or more right, which is 70%, golden rule on Pass/Fail that I have come across in various disciplines. Just hang in there.

Its been gone over many, many times. Study your ass off, and if you don't pass, use the diagnostics to see where you need to study more.

There is no published cut score. Each test and question may be weighted differently. Two people each with a 55/80 one may pass the other not. It is proprietary and unpublished how the do what they do. Just study.

Its been gone over many, many times. Study your ass off, and if you don't pass, use the diagnostics to see where you need to study more.

There is no published cut score. Each test and question may be weighted differently. Two people each with a 55/80 one may pass the other not. It is proprietary and unpublished how the do what they do. Just study.
Just because the cut score isn't published doesn't mean there isn't one. There is one. All problems are weighted equally. Everyone with a 55/80 will experience the same fate.

Back