Coronavirus

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've also asked how they are making the decision to cancel exam

QUESTION: Can a State board cancel the April exam?

[SIZE=11.53px]NCEES PERSON (I'm not giving you their name!) [/SIZE][SIZE=11.53px]11:40[/SIZE]​

This would be between the state and NCEES leaders. NCEES is meeting daily to determine the best cause of action. If there are changes you will be notified.

I was originally planning on getting the tiger t-shirt to wear to the exam, but now I'm feeling like the 'smile if you're dead inside' feels more like my mood.

64fb4789f4c8415f51de72143302cdfa.jpg

smile-if-youre-dead-inside-rainbow-vintage-shirt-2.jpg

I've also asked how they are making the decision to cancel exam

QUESTION: Can a State board cancel the April exam?

[SIZE=11.53px]NCEES PERSON (I'm not giving you their name!) [/SIZE][SIZE=11.53px]11:40[/SIZE]​

This would be between the state and NCEES leaders. NCEES is meeting daily to determine the best cause of action. If there are changes you will be notified.
I have a feeling that the decision will be out of the hands of the State PE Boards and NCEES, and will be made at a much higher level. For instance, Gov Inslee (WA) just banned events and gatherings of more than 250 people in the Seattle area. Could that be something that impacts the April administration? Will other states take similar actions?

I'm NOT attempting to troll.

I have a feeling that the decision will be out of the hands of the State PE Boards and NCEES, and will be made at a much higher level.
I was talking to my husband about that last night. There are events all over the place that are being cancelled as a precaution. So if it comes down to it, will NCEES have to cancel altogether or depending on amount of test takers per state would they be able to split it up to multiple locations for states that have a large amount of people. 🤷‍♀️ 

Time will tell. In the meantime I will keep studying like crazy!

I was talking to my husband about that last night. There are events all over the place that are being cancelled as a precaution. So if it comes down to it, will NCEES have to cancel altogether or depending on amount of test takers per state would they be able to split it up to multiple locations for states that have a large amount of people. 🤷‍♀️ 

Time will tell. In the meantime I will keep studying like crazy!
Same. I'm not killing myself this cycle so I'm ok with studying at this rate.

Postponement or cancellation of a full exam cycle will certainly throw a giant wrinkle in the well oiled freight train of the NCEES PE exam. At least they have 5 weeks for this to hopefully blow over or to test out some emergency CBT options, perhaps build testing bubbles...

UMASS Boston (where the Boston, MA exam is taken) has been closed through at least April 3. Uncertain if they will re-open.

Many governors including Oregon and Washington have banned all events of 250+ people. I have to imagine tests in those states have more than that at testing locations?

The Pomona Fairplex in the Los Angeles area (where people take the PE exam in Southern California) has postponed all events in March per Governor Newsom's declaration.

Last edited by a moderator:
Postponement or cancellation of a full exam cycle will certainly throw a giant wrinkle in the well oiled freight train of the NCEES PE exam. At least they have 5 weeks for this to hopefully blow over or to test out some emergency CBT options, perhaps build testing bubbles...
Nah they don't have 5 weeks at all actually. NCEES has realistically less than two weeks if they want to act RESPONSIBLY and make a decision to either have folks prepare to travel/sit for exam or postpone the exam to another date. 

Nah they don't have 5 weeks at all actually. NCEES has realistically less than two weeks if they want to act RESPONSIBLY and make a decision to either have folks prepare to travel/sit for exam or postpone the exam to another date. 
They could just take advantage of the Pearson testing centers, and conduct the test in more locations. Therefore avoiding a densely concentrated area. I know in Florida there are only 4 locations for the PE examination. 

And counties such as Miami-Dade have already started to cancel events that would normally attract large crowds. 

At least they have 5 weeks for this to hopefully blow over or to test out some emergency CBT options, perhaps build testing bubbles...
I don't speak for NCEES, but I can promise you that there is no way they can or will convert all the exams to CBT in time for April. 

:plusone:

They could just take advantage of the Pearson testing centers, and conduct the test in more locations. Therefore avoiding a densely concentrated area. I know in Florida there are only 4 locations for the PE examination. 
I'm skeptical that the Pearson testing centers could accommodate loads that large. And even if they could, would it be appropriate to use those as a means to circumvent the social distancing strategies that the State and local governments are trying to enact?

My advice to everyone is to continue to study as if the exam is going to happen. Don't worry about if the test is going to happen or not. The worst that could happen is you wind up studying for a test that won't happen until October. Meanwhile, continue to engage in practices that promote personal and community health.

My advice to everyone is to continue to study as if the exam is going to happen. Don't worry about if the test is going to happen or not. The worst that could happen is you wind up studying for a test that won't happen until October. Meanwhile, continue to engage in practices that promote personal and community health.
Agreed! I plan to do just that.

NCEES update released on 03/03 and 03/10, guessing another updated on 03/17?

Is everyone going to write to them? A 6 month wait is beyond outrageous. 

They have 0 respect for the test takers. 

While it sucks to be out 6 months of elevated salary and maybe 20 hours of studying because of the break & reviewing the material, this really was the right course of action. Schools and daycares are closing, peoples jobs are thrown into disarray, trying to work remote, the outright ban of mass gatherings, etc. It's chaos right now and this is or the best.

How is this their fault? It completely blows but it's probably the right thing to do. Directives are coming down from state levels. My job is about to send everyone home and we'll work from home until we hear otherwise. 

I doubt NCEES wants to refund all of that money!

They had no choice, given how bad things are in some states, they can't cancel in some and have it in other. NY Governor said today it could be 4-6 months before virus is gone. Way too much uncertainty to have this test before October. In addition, all the sites (universities or convention centers) aren't exactly available right now to help book something in the coming months.

Has anyone emailed PPI about a refund or a move of classes to the fall?

Back