Computer Help!!!

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh, for those who need to test a computer power supply.. I called a local repair place, and they said,

"if you can take a computer apart, you can test a power supply. Just bend a paperclip into a U shape and short the green wire to the black wire in the motherboard connector. All power supply wiring is pretty standard with wire colors and voltages. What you'll do is try to turn the power supply fan, if it's blown - it won't be able to turn the fan and it'll shut off. As well, you should leave it on for a while, and if you want, you can plug other devices into it to pull more load."

Did it and the fan would jerk, and then the "power indicator" light on the power supply would drop out.

FYI.

I was a little uneasy, but there's quite a few articles online saying the "paperclip" trick is what you do for initial PS troubleshooting:

Paperclip trick

Just wanted to say, I called it first!

Seriously though. 99% of the stupidest problems I've ever encountered on startups were power supply related.

My wife and FIL do computer repair/software/virus work. Let me ask where they get parts from. I'll get back to you either tonight or tomorrow.
Talked to my FIL last night. He gets stuff from newegg.com. He said the $12-$15 PS are fine. No need to blow the bank.

I kept looking at these guys but with their comments found on epinions.com and bbb:bbb linkey

These guys just don't sound like someone I want to give my credit card number to.
Thanks for that tip, I will not be ordering anything from them!

Just bend a paperclip into a U shape and short the green wire to the black wire in the motherboard connector.
That is another good tip!

Talked to my FIL last night. He gets stuff from newegg.com. He said the $12-$15 PS are fine. No need to blow the bank.
I think he needs a specific slim model to fit into his HP machine, not just the standard brick power supply.

I think he needs a specific slim model to fit into his HP machine, not just the standard brick power supply.
Agreed. HP decided to make a "slim" desktop model with a different shape PS... so, to get it to fit back in the case... I need to find a drop in replacement. Sucks, because Newegg doesn't carry them.

I just ended up buying one off of Ebay with PayPal, figured, I'm halfway protected with that instead of some mom/pop shop that I would give my credit card to... We'll see if it shows up.

Back