Comity - North Carolina

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cupojoe PE PMP

Reaction score
So I applied for a Comity license in North Carolina for a project that we thought was coming, but we ended up losing. I just got approved for an NC license today. The letter says the license is subject to a privilege tax. Do non-residents have to pay this tax? It looks like it is $50 due July 1. Will I get a bill or do I have to file something?

Generally I don't like to let my licenses lapse, but since we didn't get this particular project (we thought it was in the bag, but we couldn't work out commercial terms) how hard will it be to get reinstated later from NC if I need a license there in the future?

Why let it lapse if you already have it? NC could view this as a bad thing and deny you the next time. Having the license could help the company get into NC with smaller jobs to help you land another big job there. Since you will be benefitting your company,  you should ask them about covering the $50 fee.

Latest posts

Back