Comity Licensure, Relocation/Job Change, and NCEES Record

Help Support Engineer Boards:

ellipsim

Reaction score
Hi All,

I am a recently licensed engineer, and I have a bit of an odd question:

I am wanting to know more about the process of applying for licensure through comity using an NCEES Record. In particular, I want to know how much my references need to know about the states to which I am applying for comity licensure?

If I obtain the 5 references tied to my NCEES record are they notified only the one time when they agree to be a reference, and then I can transmit the record citing them as a reference multiple times without them being contacted repeatedly? Or will each application to a new state/jurisdiction trigger them being contacted again (whether by NCEES or by that respective State's licensing board)?

The reason that I ask is that I am contemplating a relocation and likely change of company, but ideally I would be able to obtain licensure through comity and then obtain a job in that location before alerting my coworkers that this is my intention. (I have a current work need to establish a NCEES record to obtain licensure in one jurisdiction, but I also intend to apply for licensure to other jurisdictions in order to open up job opportunities in those areas and want to keep this fact a secret for now).

Any thoughts or advice are welcomed. How do others navigate changing jobs and jurisdictions at the same time? Having to have references vouch for you to obtain comity licensure makes the process very awkward when those references are your current coworkers and your likely intention is to leave the company. I suppose I could obtain a new job first, not being licensed, but then I'd have to ask for references from people whom I have already left, which seems even more awkward. Please advise.

Reaction score
Hi All,

I am a recently licensed engineer, and I have a bit of an odd question:

I am wanting to know more about the process of applying for licensure through comity using an NCEES Record. In particular, I want to know how much my references need to know about the states to which I am applying for comity licensure?

If I obtain the 5 references tied to my NCEES record are they notified only the one time when they agree to be a reference, and then I can transmit the record citing them as a reference multiple times without them being contacted repeatedly? Or will each application to a new state/jurisdiction trigger them being contacted again (whether by NCEES or by that respective State's licensing board)?

The reason that I ask is that I am contemplating a relocation and likely change of company, but ideally I would be able to obtain licensure through comity and then obtain a job in that location before alerting my coworkers that this is my intention. (I have a current work need to establish a NCEES record to obtain licensure in one jurisdiction, but I also intend to apply for licensure to other jurisdictions in order to open up job opportunities in those areas and want to keep this fact a secret for now).

Any thoughts or advice are welcomed. How do others navigate changing jobs and jurisdictions at the same time? Having to have references vouch for you to obtain comity licensure makes the process very awkward when those references are your current coworkers and your likely intention is to leave the company. I suppose I could obtain a new job first, not being licensed, but then I'd have to ask for references from people whom I have already left, which seems even more awkward. Please advise.
When you ask someone if they can be an NCEES reference, NCEES will email them an online form to fill out. References are good for 1 year and you have the option to re-send them a renewal form or replace that person with someone else. You can have more than 5 references, NCEES will use your 5 latest references when you apply for comity in another jurisdiction (they will not contact your reference for each time you apply). Since you said you have a current work need to establish an NCEES record, it should not be awkward to ask your current coworkers to be a reference.

Setting up an NCEES record for the first time can take a lot of time depending on how fast you can provide your required documents. So my advice is to get this done as quickly and efficiently as you can and when you move jobs and have to replace a reference then hopefully you can find a replacement at your new job.

Latest posts