Comity license expiring!

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

babuateb

Reaction score
Hello to all,
My Texas comity PE expires end of this March. I am appearing in PE Power exam in mid of this March but I afraid the preparation may not be adequate. I am wondering if the Texas Board will give me another chance to take the PE exam if I don't pass.
Any insights would be appreciated.
--
Babuateb

Hi @babuateb. I admit, I’m not familiar with the TX Board’s regulations, but I am a little confused by your post. When you mention that you have a Texas comity P.E., what state are you originally registered as a P.E. in? Relatedly, if you are already a licensed P.E. in another state, why are you sitting for the P.E. Power exam in mid March?

Conversely, if you are not a registered P.E. in any state other than Texas, I don’t see how you could have a comity P.E. license in Texas.

Could you please clarify? Thanks in advance!

Thanks for the reply. I am licensed in Ontario, Canada and received comity Texas PE with verified education, experience and references already. In order to get the full/permanent PE license, I need to to pass PE exam.

Thanks for the reply. I am licensed in Ontario, Canada and received comity Texas PE with verified education, experience and references already. In order to get the full/permanent PE license, I need to to pass PE exam.
Ah, I see. So you’re not already licensed as a P.E. in the U.S., and have not taken and passed the P.E. Exam yet. I understand now.

Have you tried contacting the TX Board to ask your questions?

Hi @babuateb,

It sounds like you have a "temporary" license in texas, not a "comity" license. Comity license usually means that your first license is in another state and your license is good by virtue of the license in the other state.

According to this website (Temporary International Licensure), you can renew your temporary license twice, so that you can have a temporary license for up to 3 years. Assuming you're only on your first year, hopefully this means you can renew your license and buy yourself a little more time if you happen to fail the exam.

But as @leggo PE suggested, contacting the texas state board wouldn't be a bad idea.

Thanks a lot @ChebyshevII PE. I renewed already twice. Bad! I did not do the exam earlier. Temporary international license is also called comity by NAFTA when it comes to Canadian P.Eng. Not a big deal what it is called. Issue is my license is expiring this March. TBPE said there is no way the license can be renewed. I am wondering whether they will allow me to re-take the exam without renewing the license.

Thanks a lot @ChebyshevII PE. I renewed already twice. Bad! I did not do the exam earlier. Temporary international license is also called comity by NAFTA when it comes to Canadian P.Eng. Not a big deal what it is called. Issue is my license is expiring this March. TBPE said there is no way the license can be renewed. I am wondering whether they will allow me to re-take the exam without renewing the license.
You might be able to still take the exam, and then show that to the board as part of the application for receiving your standard license. I do not know if Texas decouples the exam from the license application, though.

Back