Cofferdam Seepage Question

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JFitz

Reaction score
Hello to all....

I've come across a somewhat simple cofferdam / seepage practice question that has recently keep me up at night. The solution is provided but I am confused on how the author has calculated the gradient. I understand the gradient is the head loss per unit length, H/L. Can someone explain to me how the author gets his length value used in the gradient calculation? Any help would be appreciated..

Take care.

untitled.GIF

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe the length should be 6. I think the solution is incorrect. Anyone disagree?

Make sure you read the errata for your references. This will save your sanity. When I was doing practice problems in the CERM I came across 3 questions that were incorrect. 2 of them had errata that were posted. The third question I posted on here and we worked out a solution that was also not shown in the CERM.

Same here. The distance through the soil where the head loss occurs is 6ft. Thanks for the comments. The bad news is that this reference doesn't have errata posted. I think I'm going to stick to more legit sample tests.

Back