• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to EngineerBoards and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

CIVIL SoPE Notes & Solved Problems

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

getpematerials

Reaction score
Hi Everyone, 

I'd like to sell the School of PE notes and solved problems that I used to pass the April 2015 Civil exam.  You'll get all of the notes (NO MARKINGS OR HIGHLIGHTS) printed double-sided on 8.5x11" standard white copy paper, hole-punched with no rips!  You'll also get the problems and solutions.  This covers ALL AM portions, and I also have the PM WR section -- notes and solved problems, as well.  I'm asking $350 for the whole set.  I also have the lesson videos -- $550 gets you notes, problems, solutions and videos.  Please PM me, or email me ([email protected]) if interested.  I only have one set, and I don't think this will last long.

Hmmm... I thought about this before I posted.  How is it any different than selling a used copy of 6-minute solutions, or Metcalf & Eddy?  In both cases, it's material prepared and published.  And in both cases, it's sold when not wanted anymore.  I'm seriously willing to not sell; however, why does SoPE get the protection that the other creators and publishers don't?

Thoughts?

My SoPE notes specifically state that they are not to be distributed to others.

Interesting.  So I guess that's all every publisher has to do from now on -- write that the work cannot be distributed.  I guess that would be the end of libraries!  Haha!  

I think it's ridiculous that SoPE gets this much protection.  The course is mediocre -- at best.  Even with that, their material can't be shared, or re-sold?  A bit odd.

Nonetheless, I will NOT sell my notes.  I'll side with the spirit of this community, instead.  The offer is officially off the table.

Better safe than sorry. Who knows if SoPE would go after you.

Not quite sure where the misunderstanding lies here.  The notes and videos from SoPE are of a private entity, not public.  If the notes and other materials were published for distribution say on Amazon, Barnes & Noble, etc, it wouldn't be an issue here.  But since the media and materials accompany the SoPE course, it becomes a comprehensive package they offer under their own established pricing. Re-distributing something like this in bits and pieces under your own established pricing without proper authorization, is considered copyright infringement.  SoPE owns the copyright to that material as I'm sure is specifically noted in their Terms & Conditions.

knight1fox3, as I noted above, I'm no-longer going to sell the materials; however, I thought it would be interesting to leave this thread up, for the discussion.  You mentioned copyright -- are books not copyrighted?  Let me answer that for you -- yes, they are.  Check any book you buy new or used, directly from a publisher, or from Amazon -- they are all copyrighted.  For some reason, they can all be sold on this forum, but god forbid someone wants to sell their used SoPE material, right?  Am I missing something?  I also sold my "Water and Wastewater Calculations Manual", by Chin -- will McGraw Hill "come after" me also?  Haha.

@getpematerials, as knight1fox3 mentioned in his post, the SoPE notes are provided as part of a package deal that goes with the class. If SoPE sold their notes separately without the need to sign up for the class, then you might be able to sell them. Let's not allow the tone of this thread to turn argumentative. We are not copy right lawyers.

If you asked SoPE what their policy is and ask for a explanation, I'm sure they would tell you. If you post that explanation, you'll be able to contribute something of value to this thread before it gets locked.

Am I missing something? 
Yes you are.  There is a distinguishable difference between "copyright for public distribution" (i.e. the items you referred to) and "copyright, privately distributed" (i.e. in this case, SoPE material).  Want to learn more about it, feel free to review any T&C's from any university that offers online/distance instruction. :thumbs:   

Back