Christmas Bonus

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I get no $ bonus as a fed govt employee, but the bonus is that I really have no fear of losing my job. And, I get a raise effective in January. :)
Is that a raise-raise or the cost of living-raise? Last I heard Congress wants to give us 2.99%, but sounds like it's going to be 2% if Obama gets his way. Although I just got my step increase in September too so I'm not going to complain too much. There may be some more good news in the near future too...

No bonuses this year or any other, average raise has gone down every year and until further notice it's 0 this year. No holiday party either.

everyone in the company got a $500 bonus, not for Christmas but as a thank you to everyone for all their hard work this past year to keep the company profitable. I'm guessing this is also to help take the sting out of them telling us we won't be getting pay raises for next year.

We didn't get raises this year and we're probably not getting them next year. But we did get a really nice email from the CEO thanking everyone for working more (and not billing it) because they fired so many people. Our stock price is only up 5% so I'm sure he's going to have a rough holiday.

In place of a christmas bonus (usually $2,000), they gave me the money that was going to be put into my SEP plan. Not really a bonus since it was mine to begin with but it sure was nice to be able to spend that big check for things we needed. We did get the better part of 2 weeks off over the holidays. Overall not too bad.

I work for the government so no bonuses.

We usually get a raise on January 1st but our 3-year contract expired and we have not renewed. Usually, one side or the other is pushing to negoatiate a new deal, months before it expires. This time around, the employer can't offer anything and we know it. So neither side has even asked to meet yet.

The last bargaining group to settle agreed to no raises for three years and got $500 bonuses in return.

But I got a 4.1% raise in September on my hired-in date. So it's tough to complain.

raises are usually announced right about this timeframe and implemented on Feb 1. I'm not expecting anything, but I'm hoping to be surprised.

We got a $50 bill from the owner (tradition) for xmas, and the office manager gave everyone (out of his own pocket) either $100 cash or tickets to a Denver Nuggets game. I was gone the day the tickets were available, so I was glad to get the $100.

Last raise I got was ~Sept 08 to combine the PE license and the Feb 09 COLA at about 10%.

Last edited:
Casey! What up, my neighbor to the north?
Hey Buff,

Well, I still have a job, which is nice. Got a paycut earlier in the year and got a raise at Xmas here, but still a bit short of my original salary.

But overall things are fine here. Our recession is not as bad as what I hear is going on down south with you guys. Although, lots of EPC companies here got hit hard, mine managed to fare a lot better than others.

And for Xmas I got a sweater! It's brown.

Back