CERM 16th Edition, is it worth buying?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mikasa_Ackerman

Reaction score
I'm wondering if anyone knows the difference between the 14th, 15th, and 16th editions of the CERM.  I'm taking the Civil PE (transportation) exam in October 2018. Is it necessary for me to buy the latest edition?  A friend gave me an electronic version of the 14th, wondering if I can use that. 

Thanks, 

Only differences will be code changes. If you're familiar and comfortable with them and can note them in your documents then you don't HAVE to have the most newest 

Hardly any code changes substantiate requiring a new CERM edition. Let's not promote the board's ulterior motives of making publications any wealthier.

NCEES is a non-profit organization that brings in over $20 million in revenue.

NCEES does not publish the CERM.. what has even happened in this thread. lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Hardly any code changes substantiate requiring a new CERM edition. Let's not promote the board's ulterior motives of making publications any wealthier.
Of course there are changes. ACI 318-14 is added and that alone is worth it. However, if you are not taking depth in Structural then yeah you may get away with using 15th edition. Also, you could go in and update every time the 318-11 is referenced. I just hope you have more than enough time to review everything. 

I can only presume this was sarcasm.
Exactly! 

NCEES does not publish the CERM.. what has even happened in this thread. lol
LOL. I actually ordered the CERM 16 Edition and the Concrete and Steel PPI books for PE and SE exam with a 50% discount. I simply wanted to be updated. 🙂

Of course there are changes. ACI 318-14 is added and that alone is worth it. However, if you are not taking depth in Structural then yeah you may get away with using 15th edition. Also, you could go in and update every time the 318-11 is referenced. I just hope you have more than enough time to review everything. 
My husband was incorrect in assuming I could use an older CERM, since HE did.  I mean, I COULD use one but the whole thing was out of date, and was not very useful.  Perhaps for hydraulics and hydrology and other disciplines the older version is ok.  Structural, not so much.

Back