CEM - Certified Energy Manager

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone taking CEM Exam? I just took PE exam and PMP is my next goal. I also manage energy incentives for our clients and is curious to know if CEM certification will add any value to my resume?
I know it's been awhile since you asked this but I passed the CEM about 3 years ago.  As a electric utility marketing employee I work a lot with our industrial customers.  Some of them have it, and along with my PE I find that it gives me more credibility with them.  The CEM basically certifies that you are competent in energy management on the customer side of the meter.  After I passed the CEM AEE sent me a letter saying that if I sent them $25.00 they would certify me as a CDSM (Certified Demand Side Manager).  It's basically the same thing except it means competency on the utility side of the meter.  These days you have to take a separate test but they'd just started the CDSM and if you had recently passed the CEM and worked for a utility they would grandfather you in.  I will say that AEE does seem to have a certification for everything :rolleyes:  and, with all due respect, the association itself  could come across as a money grab.  But I think the CEM is a good thing.  It can be helpful if you work in plant maintenance, do energy consulting or work for a utility.  Just my two cents. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I passed the CEM a few years ago just when the place I was working at decided that I would implement an ISO 50001 Energy Management System for the site. I had a background in MEP and utilities, and about 6 years of experience out of school at the time. I was LEED certified, so my managers figured I was the best person for the job. I took the two day review class and the test immediately after. I slept through most of the class, and did no studying. The test was a breeze. I know that there were a handful of PEs and architects in the class who seemed to have a little more trouble, but as a facilities engineer putting together an ISO program everything in the course was something I had already been doing in my day to day work. 

I personally don't put a whole lot of faith in the certification, since it wasn't that difficult to get (in my mind). LEED was harder, but that's because it was stuff I wasn't working with on the reg. CEM is something I have on my resume, but not my business card if that makes sense. So far it hasn't opened any doors for me, though I did just apply for a facilities engineering position that specifically called out CEM and/or LEED as part of the desired requirements. 

Hello,

I am an electrical engineer planning to take the CEM exam.  I plan on doing the AEE provided online modules for the required training (see link below).  Does anyone have any exam tips or can tell me which books they would recommended that I study. I have already purchased "The Energy Management Handbook, 8th by Mehta and Albert Thumann"

http://aee.peachnewmedia.com/store/seminar/seminar.php?seminar=59679

Thanks all!  

Did you find a need for all of the books in the CEM text list or were there one or two that were necessary?

Back