Career/Job Searching

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
USACE guys I work with regularly are a combo of field people and supervisors. They are all in a gov car and travelling daily. The supervisors are more day trippers when not in meetings. Working with the USACE will make you deployable in natural disasters. They are regularly called for hurricane/flood duty. One of the supervisors spent like 6 months in Puerto Rico after that hurricane they had in 2017.

EPA is also deployable, but they ask for volunteers.
Yeah, that's what I kinda figured once he started explaining the role. It's why I might only say Albany because it is a military compound and it's only one location. I don't mind deploying, as long as I'm paid for it. Just need to make sure someone takes care of Odin, because he is my baby and he deserves to be cared for.

@JayKay PE The vHubs is USACE, and works on a military installation. (Similar to Albany) but the majority of their projects are not on the base. That might vary based on what the mission of the unit is, I only have experience with the MVR unit.
USACE guys I work with regularly are a combo of field people and supervisors. They are all in a gov car and travelling daily. The supervisors are more day trippers when not in meetings. Working with the USACE will make you deployable in natural disasters. They are regularly called for hurricane/flood duty. One of the supervisors spent like 6 months in Puerto Rico after that hurricane they had in 2017.

EPA is also deployable, but they ask for volunteers.
He is also deployable, but it is typically voluntary deployment. There have been times he has said it is strongly suggested they volunteer, but since not active duty, they can't really MAKE them deploy. He has deployed 4-5 times for long periods of time in the 18 years he has been there.

@JayKay PE The vHubs is USACE, and works on a military installation. (Similar to Albany) but the majority of their projects are not on the base. That might vary based on what the mission of the unit is, I only have experience with the MVR unit.
Hmm, yeah, but I feel like working upstate would just be less traffic in general than Long Island, so if I have to drive around and do the PM/supervisor nonsense, I'd rather be in an area that has less cars, more parking, and less traffic.

Continuing my saga of applying for jobs. Did a 'thank you, no thank you' for the NNSA position I was offered (I have no idea why they wanted me, but then they offered me an additional 25% to come down to Texas, and the whole thing made me nervous). Didn't get referred for dream job, dream job due to location not because of the work. There is another position at that location I applied to, but I have a feeling I'm going to get the same rejection/non-referred because I keep answering the stupid assessment questionnaires truthfully.

Just received a verbal offer from the Manhattan USACE technical manager position, they're sending the TJO via email without contacting my references. They, too, want to onboard super quickly like NNSA. They stated a lot of positives: $280 mass transit benefit per month (this would actually cover most of my LIRR fees, since I could get a 20 peak-pass for the 2x week I'd have to go in, but I'd still have to grab a subway pass), compressed schedule would be something they'd be okay with (didn't push for a 4x10, but a compressed schedule is still good). They did mention potentially helping with moving expenses (but unsure what my landlord would say, since I have a lease until November 2022). I would be able to live with my parents fulltime. They also said there was a potential for full remote, but that it was a case by case scenario, which means I'm not holding my breath/expecting it to happen.

Cons are mostly...I would have to go into the office/Manhattan twice a week, Tuesday mandatory, which would be around 2hours each way, but it would be mostly on a train. Except with what just happened in Brooklyn...really doesn't make me want to get on the subway anytime soon? Also, I wouldn't get a step increase since it is lateral. I have the special VHA engineer pay table, I wouldn't be getting more money and I'd be going from a LCOL area to a HCOL area...Though I'd be saving a bunch by living with my parents, I'll have increased costs due to the taxes and additional driving I'd have to do (and also just stuff costing more on LI), and I know I'm going to end up spending more in general just living with family/buying stuff for them to support them. Also, they talked about how I would need to be billing my time, kinda like private sector, so I would have to keep more track of my hours unlike the VA where I can just put my head down and work.

I have to really consider this. I talked to my dad last night after the interview and he kinda was like 'if they're not paying you more, is it worth it to move?' especially with the increased commute/less buying power of my money and an unsure promotion potential in the area. I'm still holding out for dream job, but I don't want to refuse job offers that kinda might work?

Finding a new job is sucky.

Last edited:
Rejected the USACE GS12 position...now I need to call about the GS13 supervisor position. I think they're trying to offer me the position in Uniondale, on Long Island, instead of the position upstate New York, which is...the opposite of what I want. That location was going to be a **** ton of driving back and forth, which is why I left private sector.

Had a mini-breakdown last night with me getting job offers and not being excited about them, and trying to figure out if it's worth it to just...take the offer and be miserable. I just...I hate where I'm working right now due to awah. It's her **** talking me over and over again and our supervisor doing nothing about her not doing anything that is making me...not feel burnout, but trying to figure out if it's worth it? Only 6.5mo left before I can officially leave. Idk. Maybe I'll talk to my parents and I'll talk LWOP or something.

Our supervisory engineer was promoted to chief. His position is now open. It'd be a promotion from GS12 to GS13, but I'd have to be in charge of awah/her equally unhelpful husband if I did get an offer/accepted. This would also pretty much solidify me staying in Indiana for at least 2+ years, so I can get TIG...but...

I...don't know if it's worth it to apply or not.

Our supervisory engineer was promoted to chief. His position is now open. It'd be a promotion from GS12 to GS13, but I'd have to be in charge of awah/her equally unhelpful husband if I did get an offer/accepted. This would also pretty much solidify me staying in Indiana for at least 2+ years, so I can get TIG...but...

I...don't know if it's worth it to apply or not.
Don’t take the bait. You hate AWAH and do not want to be her manager. Nor do I think you want to stay in Indiana longer term, based on my readings of your posts here!

Don’t take the bait. You hate AWAH and do not want to be her manager. Nor do I think you want to stay in Indiana longer term, based on my readings of your posts here!
THANK YOU. I have too many people here who want me to take the job/stay more longterm, but I...don't want to deal with the stress of AWAH or staying in Indiana...but if she got fired...I might be open to it.

THANK YOU. I have too many people here who want me to take the job/stay more longterm, but I...don't want to deal with the stress of AWAH or staying in Indiana...but if she got fired...I might be open to it.
Eyes on the prize!! Leaving AWAH in the dust later this year!!

Update: dream job (location, grade, etc.) reposted an environmental engineer position. This was the position I didn't get referred to because of veteran's preference. They also, somehow, have my resume because one of the chief that I declined an offer for in NY forwarded it to her husband who works at the dream job site. I am freaking out and really hope I at least get an interview. If I don't get an offer for dream job, going to keep applying to other positions and making it more aggressive.

Awah is leaving at end of July (officially) and I heard that her husband might be given a 'thank you for your work, you need to leave' by our associate director in September. This...is crazy. But I still want to leave. I have girded my loins. Need to stay here until 10/26/22 to not trigger repayment of my SLRP. I can make it. Only 4months and 20 days.

Four months and 20 days is gonna fly by! Really not long now. And wow, I never, ever though AWAH would actually leave. May it not be too good to be true. It seems your head is in the right space — don’t stay even if/when she goes! At this point, it’s definitely worth sticking it out for the loan repayment and then booking a one way flight outta there.

If the people don’t give you at least an interview for that dream position, they are out of their minds!

Four months and 20 days is gonna fly by! Really not long now. And wow, I never, ever though AWAH would actually leave. May it not be too good to be true. It seems your head is in the right space — don’t stay even if/when she goes! At this point, it’s definitely worth sticking it out for the loan repayment and then booking a one way flight outta there.

If the people don’t give you at least an interview for that dream position, they are out of their minds!
Yes! Only it'll be a one way drive~ Odin in the front seat. Tbh, I might even get rid of more my random stuff when I move back home so I can travel ultra light! I have a huge pile of stuff I already need to donate.

And if I get an interview, I think I can get the job. I'm super good at interviewing. Hell, I somehow got away with doing finger guns during an interview and then got an offer. Just got to keep wishing wishing wishing.

And if I get an interview, I think I can get the job. I'm super good at interviewing. Hell, I somehow got away with doing finger guns during an interview and then got an offer. Just got to keep wishing wishing wishing.
I just finished completing a round of 7 interviews for a position we have open here. I've been on an interview panel several times, and it is exhausting! But, I will say that those who are more candid and enjoyable to talk to are easier to read and rank. We had a couple who answered the questions appropriately, but I felt like they were reading a script.... and it was very dry and boring. Given that the position is a Project Manager position, you can't be dry and boring.

In the interviews that I have done myself, when I feel comfortable with the group and could do things like finger guns (never tried that before, but I like it!), I've always been offered the job! Back in 2015 when I drastically changed careers, I went on 9 different interviews and was offered 8 jobs. Once I selected one, I actually ended up leaving after 6 months because the one I really wanted (but didn't get) called me because they had hired internally and now needed to fill a similar position, so they pulled from the existing candidate pool. Things have only progressed upwards from there!

So. Dream job posting was originally posted 6/13-6/19 and now it’s 6/13-6/22. Only a couple more days, and I shouldn’t be nervous, since I haven’t even gotten referred/an interview, but this makes me feel like they’ve got someone else also in mind. I refuse to believe the practical reason of them adding days because it closed on a Holiday weekend/Sunday. I also keep telling myself, it hasn't even closed, you might not even get it, but then it means I need to start like applying nooooow if I want to leave by my November timeline (which is getting closer and closer every day) and I'm just tired...

BUT GOING HOME NEXT FRIDAY. Debating on if I should buy my brother 'stranger things' cupcakes for his birthday? I'd have to transport them from Indiana to NY (they'd be in a cooler/fridge overnight), and I'm not sure the hassle is reallllly worth it?

Back