Career Change

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WoodSlinger

Reaction score
I have what I feel is some pretty exciting news. However, I don't want to share it with anyone I know (yet), besides my wife, because of the probability that they will think I'm nuts. Since I'm not really known here, and I don't really know any of you, I feel this is the perfect place to unload this off my chest. Feel free to respond if you wish, but I'm not really looking for advice or affirmation. I guess I just want to tell a bunch of strangers my most personal of stories.

I've been a structural engineer for 8.5 years. I'm licensed, have had good employment, etc. I went into the field for similar reasons to most other engineers I know. I'm good at math and science, I like the construction process, I like to solve problems, and most of all actually be somewhat creative. However, pretty much since the very first day I worked professionally I have felt like I had a fast one pulled on me. I thought that being a successful engineer meant you were a good engineer. I thought that having a career as an engineer meant you did jus that, engineered stuff. I didn't realize that it was mostly about business practice, politicking, kissing ass, putting the appropriate amount of time in at work not work into your time, so on and so fourth. In my disgruntlement, the thing that has always brought me back to level has been woodworking, something I've enjoyed doing for as long as I can remember. However, until just a few days ago, I had never looked at wood working as a career (even though I'm pretty good at it). It was always just a hobby.

So, this past weekend my wife and I were having a discussion about the choices I have made and how these choices now effect me. In telling her that I don't mind being an engineer, but I certainly don't love it, or even enjoy it most of the time, she asked, "well, what is it that you want to do"? Without even thinking about it, I responded, "make furniture". The most obvious answer is usually the most correct I guess.

So, in about 10 years from now, yes a decade, when my wife goes back to work after raising our children full time, I am going to semi-retire, enroll in grad-school, and earn a masters in art/furniture making. I won't go into why I think this is the best route, because this is getting way too long, but it makes good sense to me. After that, I will design and build things on my own for all my live long days. I may never sell a damn thing, and end up with a warehouse full chairs, tables, cabinets, etc., but at least I will be happy and will thoroughly enjoy what I am doing with my time.

I was just reminded of a scene from the movie "Dazed and Confussed" where the two geeky guys, and the red headed girl with the afro are driving along talking about what they are going to do with their lives. After getting upset about the establishment, the darked haired fella in the back is asked, "Well, what do you want to do?" He responds in a somewhat feminine manner, "I want to dance." That's me I guess.

Thank you for your time.

...I feel this is the perfect place to unload this off my chest.
I don't think you needed to state that you're fairly new here. I think this statement says more than enough. :lmao: ;) (inside joke to those of us who've been here a while and participated in the last 10k thread)

You're daring, if nothing else. Yes, engineering is all about politics, much like every other job, unfortunately. That's just the way it is. Your hobby turned career sounds like fun and, if it is, it's a successful career. Best of luck. :thumbs:

Last edited by a moderator:
... did someone say unload?

That sounds like great news, except for the part that it is 10 years from now!

If you make top notch furniture it should sell regardless. Do what you love. Life is short.

First of all, ALL jobs end up being like what you described. With the possible exception of working for yourself. So, more power to you! I had a hobby/business once that I almost left engineering to pursue, but didn't. I kind of regret that. You'll never know unless you try, and the best way to try is just to jump in feet first.

10 years is a long time.... I am assuming that you are "practicing" in the meantime? Keep working on those skills - maybe you can sell some pieces now, and get a jump start. If you develop enough of a demand for your work, maybe you can jump careers in a shorter time frame.

As an aside, why do you need to get a Masters in making furniture? Why not just start making it? It's a trade, not a science, right? Maybe you could get a part-time job in a small furniture shop somewhere to get some apprenticeship work done. Or join a club. Enter some competitions. Earn some ribbons and trophies. Anything that pushes your skills and builds your reputation.

Forget the 10-year plan, just do it now. What if you die in a car crash in 9 years? You know what you want to do, so get after it.

Moving forward now would be quite difficult. I have a wife and three children under the age of 7 (my wife is actually much older than 7, the kids are little). We need income for food, mortgage, etc., not to mention health insurance. We could survive for 6 months, possibly, but if anybody got sick, or any other kind of surprise expense, we'd be sunk.

I have built somewhere between 50 and 100 pieces in my life. At least a quarter were shit because I was kid. Most I have given as gifts, but a few I have sold for good profit. Waiting to go forward would not effect my skill. If anything it should be greatly improved in this time period, as I continue with the hobby.

Two reasons for the Masters degree. First, everything that I have done is darn near a copy of what someone else has already produced; Frank Wright, The Greene Brothers, Stickley, etc. I feel that if I were to surround myself for two years with a bunch of folks who think with the other side of their brain I would have a better chance to find something that is my own and not just a good replica of what someone else did. Second, I feel it is just the prudent path. I'm sure I have a lot to learn about the art aspect of the designs. I'm sure I have a lot to learn about procedural things that I'm falling short on because I'm self taught. I'm pretty sure it would be a good marketing angle for selling my goods......."43 year old returns to college to pursue life long dream".........that kind of deal. Also, do you remember the movie Back to School with Rodney Dangerfield? How awesome was that. I'd even be attending the same University. I'm not sure what's up with all the movie references.

Dleg is correct in his thinking however. There aren't really any furniture manufactures that make furniture traditionally in my area. If I were back east, maybe. I will continue to design and build furniture as my hobby, and I'll look into contests, competitions, etc. As it may end up, I may not need the further education, at it will just take off. None the less, financially I can't get the numbers to work out for right now, and probably not for a good while. If I were on my own, or if it was just my wife and I, you bet, I would have moved forward a long time ago, but I'm not going to put the well-being of my children in jeopardy because I'm not extremely happy with my current station in life. I'm not implying that I think any you think I should either.

Maybe if you all would chip in and give me some seed money? I'm thinking three years of salary should do the trick. What do you think?

I appreciate your comments. Thank you for sharing.

Best of luck to you, I'm too chicken shit to even think about 10 years away doing something like this. As I've thought about changing careers through my 14 years out of school... I've come to the conclusion that I don't always enjoy my work, but I try to make the most of it, because no matter what the job - very few people are ever in the PERFECT job. So, I do the best I can to attempt to find a way to be happy with what I have. If you know what will make you happy and your wife is supportive - then go for it. It sounds like by not jumping into it now and giving yourself that 10 year plan, you have built yourself a lot of soul searching and learning about yourself and your future into your thoughts. I think that's very conservative and safe way to approach this - which is smart to make sure you understand EXACTLY what you're getting into before you do it.

Too bad that few of us will probably still be in touch when you do it, maybe we can get an original piece so that we can tell our kids the story of the crazy person who gave up engineering to follow his dream and build furniture.

Best of luck.

I've always loved painting and woodworking and wish I had time to do it (kids and work), so thinking about doing something that you enjoy so much as a livelihood would be terribly appealing in many ways. It can also be a great lesson taught to your children as you make this adjustment RIGHT about the time they are looking at going to college and choosing careers. You really are never too late to make the right decision.

Best of luck to you in your career adventure. I am always a little in awe of people who can make big changes like that. I hope things work out.

I guess I need to get back to the soul crushing grind of cubicle life.

My advice....Don't wait 10 years, start NOW. Not quitting your job, but doing it as a hobby. Start collecting what tools you'll need, start making pieces at night, on the weekend, create a web-site and try selling some. If you're really good at it, it'll take on a life all it's own. Start as a part-time thing, and if it's meant to be, it will be.

wood

I dont think its unusual, I for the most part wish I did something else, and those dreams are the only thing that keep me going

that and of course all of you wonderful people here of course

I have been, and plan on continuing, my wood working/furniture building hobby. I suppose making pieces that are only intended to sell, instead of give away, is a good idea. I think I'll try to come up with a real humdinger and see where it goes.

It amazed me how much better I felt telling myself I was going to to this, even if it is a ways off.

I'm looking forward to seeing where this goes. No, I'm excited about it. I can't tell you the last time that's happened.

It amazed me how much better I felt telling myself I was going to to this, even if it is a ways off.
I'm looking forward to seeing where this goes. No, I'm excited about it. I can't tell you the last time that's happened.
Must... resist... smart ass... innuendo... comment... :blowup:

:p

I would love to be able to know how to do that stuff, i tried making some simple built in's a while back, and they just didnt turn out all that well,,,,,

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been, and plan on continuing, my wood working/furniture building hobby. I suppose making pieces that are only intended to sell, instead of give away, is a good idea. I think I'll try to come up with a real humdinger and see where it goes.

I don't know if this will help, but I want to share some thoughts from my practical experience. I grew up in a cabinet shop... my father still owns it and produces high end custom cabinetry. He has 6 guys working for him including my brother, and these days it is tough to turn a profit with building at a standstill. The work can be fulfilling, but difficult. It requires an attention to detail and patience, while at the same time you must be efficient and cut down on mistakes. Furniture would be a difficult business to get into because you basically would have to market yourself as an artist. There are a lot of starving artists out there. If you are just making standard pieces it may be difficult to compete with imports. Some of that furniture literally would cost you more to make than what they sell if for. Your best bet would probably be to establish yourself in some resort town and develop a niche making custom designed furniture for wealthy clients. If you really want to make this transition I would do it gradually, and I would avoid the further schooling route... unless it will obviously pay off. Work on weekends and nights on building your skills. Maybe you can take some trips to a furniture school and get ideas. Just my opinion and hope it works out for you!

I don't know if this will help, but I want to share some thoughts from my practical experience. I grew up in a cabinet shop... my father still owns it and produces high end custom cabinetry. He has 6 guys working for him including my brother, and these days it is tough to turn a profit with building at a standstill. The work can be fulfilling, but difficult. It requires an attention to detail and patience, while at the same time you must be efficient and cut down on mistakes. Furniture would be a difficult business to get into because you basically would have to market yourself as an artist. There are a lot of starving artists out there. If you are just making standard pieces it may be difficult to compete with imports. Some of that furniture literally would cost you more to make than what they sell if for. Your best bet would probably be to establish yourself in some resort town and develop a niche making custom designed furniture for wealthy clients. If you really want to make this transition I would do it gradually, and I would avoid the further schooling route... unless it will obviously pay off. Work on weekends and nights on building your skills. Maybe you can take some trips to a furniture school and get ideas. Just my opinion and hope it works out for you!
Thanks for the comment. I don't disagree with anything you're saying. Any small, or one man, outfit is going to have a difficult time keeping up with a large furniture manufacturer/big box store when it comes to price. You just have to find the right market that is willing to pay for what you're dealing, which hopefully I will.

I'm fortunate that I live in an area where buying locally is very important to people, and getting something that's one of a kind is often most important. We shall see.

A lot of good advice here!

I honestly think the biggest challenge you're going to face will be that 10 years from now, you'll be making SO MUCH more money than you are today that it will be even more difficult to get out.

I told myself so many times over the years that I wanted to do something different, only to find that nothing else I could do would pay the bills quite as well, so I eventually gave in, studied my ass off for years, took the damn PE exam FOUR times, then when I finally passed, started my own company.

I can honestly say that I no longer hate coming to work, but it took taking control of my career, doing what I did best to get to the point that I could say that.

I still think doing it now as a hobby/part time gig, and test the waters to see what kind of money you can make doing this would be the best solution.

Good luck no matter how, when or what you do.

A lot of good advice here!
I honestly think the biggest challenge you're going to face will be that 10 years from now, you'll be making SO MUCH more money than you are today that it will be even more difficult to get out.

Ooooh, good point. Unless Woodslinger wants to trade jobs with me. Then I could GUARANTEE he would be making the same salary after 10 years.

Good for you to empower yourself to do something better! :respect: Good luck!

I was just reminded of a scene from the movie "Dazed and Confussed" where the two geeky guys, and the red headed girl with the afro are driving along talking about what they are going to do with their lives. After getting upset about the establishment, the darked haired fella in the back is asked, "Well, what do you want to do?" He responds in a somewhat feminine manner, "I want to dance." That's me I guess.
Awesome reference! :plusone:

JR

Back