Car GPS units

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just got a Garmin 260W for Christmas. I haven't used it much yet (obviously), but so far I am pleased. The W stands for widescreen, which I highly recommend.
what's the advantage of the widescreen? My parents have a widescreen garmin (mine is not widescreen) and I really didn't see the point. It made the device larger, but didn't add any additional information as far as I could tell. Since the direction of travel is usually shown on those things going from top to bottom instead of side to side I didn't see any benefit to the widescreen.
Bigger is obviously better.
it's not the size that matters but rather how you use what you have.
Just keep telling yourself that.

Google Navigation for Android is an interesting product... I find it just as useful as my Garmin 650 for straight navigation (though there are a few minor complaints... like tell me what time I'll arrive, not in now many minutes) and it's HUGE plus is the internet connection that gives you access to all kinds of things beyond the boring POIs.

He got lost. It told him to take a left at the tv, when he wanted to take a right. He wound up in the living room instead of the kitchen.

Last edited by a moderator:
I use the Australian woman voice on my Garmin. Karen, maybe? She sounds hot.

Took her to New Orleans last weekend and there was an area of town where she wouldn't tell me to turn until I was actually at the street she wanted me to turn down. I was very angry at Karen.

My Dad likes Jill. haven't heard her, so I don't know what she sounds like.

We decided to pass on the GPS, but I'll keep the recommendations in mind if the subject ever comes up again. thanks.

we have a garmin nuvi, not sure of the number, but we have had it for a few years already. The hubby uses it mostly for work when he has to visit ethanol plants out in the middle of nowheresville. we did take it to Hawaii with us. It has become a clutch for the hubby though he misses not having it even if he has been to the place a hundred times before.

Ended up going with the Garmin Nuvi 1200. Have been happy with it so far. Takes coordinates, which I like, since we are big into geocaching. It is a small, thin unit, so I can put it in my briefcase when I travel.

Back