Caption the Photo 9-1-10

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
^^ interesting recipe VT. Sounds like it could be tasty. I am also a big fan of soups/stews. Making a huge pot of taco soup outside in the nice fall weather - nothing better..............unless it's chili in the pot!

I don't think my wife will ever let me cook shrimp gumbo in the house again. You have to boil about 2 lbs of shrimp heads for about 4 hours to make a shrimp stock and it makes the whole house smell like.....well.....shrimp heads. I've been banished to the outdoor cooker for that type of thing.
I would love to try that gumbo sometime.

I am so glad it's starting to cool off here in New England. I love to make soups and stews. There's one I came up with on my own where you take as many winter squash as possible - acorn, turbin, butternut, buttercup, etc. - and throw them in with some root veggies like carrots, turnips, and parsnips, and just let it cook away for a few hours. The squash cooks down into a thick chunky broth, while the vegies hold their shape. Sometimes I add lamb to it, other times just veggies. Combine that with a crusty loaf of bread out of the breadmaker, and you're all set for a chilly fall evening.
I guess this goes in the recipe thread, but here is the gumbo recipe. I'm a huge Alton Brown fan. I have all of his books and I love knowing the science behind why his recipes have the taste and texture that they do.

Alton Brown Shrimp Gumbo

Back