Capacitance to neutral? PPI Exam 1 Question 68

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akyip

Reaction score
Hey guys,

PPI Exam 1 question 68 is about solving for a 1-phase, 2-wire distribution system's capacitive reactance per unit length. I tried to solve this using the NCEES-provided reference handbook.

In the NCEES reference handbook, the formula for average capacitance to neutral is given as:

C = 2 * pi * epsilon 0 / ln(D eq / GMR)

But the solution to this problem uses:

C = pi * epsilon 0 / ln(D / r)

Why is the capacitance formula different for a 1-phase, 2-wire system? Why does it not have the 2 multiplier? Why does it only use conductor radius instead of GMR?

Thanks for any input on this!

PPI Exam 1 Q 68.jpg

PPI Exam 1 S 68.jpg

Hey guys,

PPI Exam 1 question 68 is about solving for a 1-phase, 2-wire distribution system's capacitive reactance per unit length. I tried to solve this using the NCEES-provided reference handbook.

In the NCEES reference handbook, the formula for average capacitance to neutral is given as:

C = 2 * pi * epsilon 0 / ln(D eq / GMR)

But the solution to this problem uses:

C = pi * epsilon 0 / ln(D / r)

Why is the capacitance formula different for a 1-phase, 2-wire system? Why does it not have the 2 multiplier? Why does it only use conductor radius instead of GMR?

Thanks for any input on this!
single phase formulas are different that 3 phase formulas for this. Check out Zach's online course Ch8.7 Transmission Lines. It doesn't really give an explanation though.

For more explanation check out Power systems Analysis by Grainger and Stevenson -- Chapter 5.3 Capacitance of a Two-wire line, and 5.4 Capacitance of a Three-Phase Line - it's got the derivation of both formulas!

Looks like it all stems from C=q/V

for single phase C=q/(Vab/2)

divided by 2 because it's capacitance to ground or neutral, so the 2's cancel

for 3phase C=q/Van

so the 2's don't cancel. 

Also remember GMRc in the handbook = radius, and GMR = r'  (it's dumb)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the responses, guys!

Going over Zach's Oct. 2020 live class notes on my own. I'll have to see his transmission lines notes when I get there.

Back