California SE License

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK - mkaiser82 or others: I know several SE's that have passed the "Western Zone Structural Engineering Exam" as noted on item 10 of mkaiser82's message above. They ARE NOT SE's in the state of California, however. That said, could I potentially have Oregon and Washington SE's review my work with only an SE based on the 16 hour Western Zone SE credential?

Thanks in advance.

So this is what is stated in the application information on there website:

Personal Reference Alternatives for Structural Engineering Applicants It has come to the Board’s attention that applicants for authority to use the title “Structural Engineer” in California may have trouble obtaining appropriate references to meet the Board’s requirements. It is the Board’s desire to assist such applicants by providing information on how to obtain references from qualified persons who are licensed as a California licensed Structural Engineer or licensed in a state with which California has or had a comity agreement regarding structural licensing. Structural engineers licensed in a state that is currently licensing new structural engineers by administration of the 16-hour NCEES Lateral/Vertical SE exam are acceptable references for structural licensing in California.

So based on that, I would just simply call the board and tell them what state your references are licensed as a structural engineer in, and make sure they are acceptable if your references are not licensed in California. I wish they would just say exactly which other states they accept and eliminate all question from that statement.

• McEngr

CA board is very leanent. They would accept references not from CA and you do not have to wait 3 years after the CA PE.

Guys,

I got my CA SE license 3 weeks after submitting my application. All my experience and references were outside CA.

Thanks you all for the infomation.

Akodyanoya

Back