CA results

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[SIZE=12pt]Hi All,[/SIZE]
I got my certificate today, I live in So Calif. Did any of you get your card. I thought we will get the card before the certificate.

Gobol
I got my certificate today too; North Bay. Not the card yet. My friend passed last year and only got the card after the first renewal.
Me too! I was expecting a card in the envelope as well but no luck. But I did get my stamp the same day.

Anyone else get their stamp? Mine still says "Exp. on_______" how about you guys? Should I get it replaced?

got my card in the mail on saturday.
[SIZE=14pt]I didn't get my card. One of my friends in the neighborhood got the card on Saturday. He got a paper card instead of the plastic. Did you guys get the same.[/SIZE]

Cards are always paper that you have to use scissors to cut from the original receipt letter. Plus, they're too big to laminate and carry in your wallet.

got my card in the mail on saturday.
[SIZE=14pt]I didn't get my card. One of my friends in the neighborhood got the card on Saturday. He got a paper card instead of the plastic. Did you guys get the same.[/SIZE]

Cards are always paper that you have to use scissors to cut from the original receipt letter. Plus, they're too big to laminate and carry in your wallet.
I still get plastic cards and paper cards. They come after the paper card. I assume everybodhy starts getting these at some point after they are licensed, but I don't know.

I got my certificate last Friday. Still to receive the card. The certificate quality was bit of a let down. I have seen vendors give out better quality certificates (for attending seminars, conferences etc). At least have a raised seal, hologram or even the governors signature :D

I seem to remember my plastic card coming after my first real renewal after the 4 month (initial) licensure period.

I could be wrong though...

Last edited by a moderator:
I dont think there is any rhyme or reason for mailing paper or plastic cards. My plastic card came a couple of years after getting the PE. The PLS card came right after i passed, which was the same time as my PE renewal. The state goofed up on my PLS card and wrote " Land Sureveyor". They mailed new ones a week later, with a letter stating that we should destroy the old card. I tossed the correct one in a file, and keep the misspelled one in my wallet.

I dont think there is any rhyme or reason for mailing paper or plastic cards. My plastic card came a couple of years after getting the PE. The PLS card came right after i passed, which was the same time as my PE renewal. The state goofed up on my PLS card and wrote " Land Sureveyor". They mailed new ones a week later, with a letter stating that we should destroy the old card. I tossed the correct one in a file, and keep the misspelled one in my wallet.
Are we talking about the pocket ID card? If so, how does someone request a plastic version of the ID card? I just renewed my license until June 2012 and received the paper version. I don't recall having an option.

Are we talking about the pocket ID card? If so, how does someone request a plastic version of the ID card? I just renewed my license until June 2012 and received the paper version. I don't recall having an option.
Yes, pocket ID.

You don't have an option. It just shows up. And once you start getting the plastic card you get both - a paper and plastic card.

I suppose you could call the board and ask them about it if you wanted, but it isn't really all that thrilling.

Yes, pocket ID.

You don't have an option. It just shows up. And once you start getting the plastic card you get both - a paper and plastic card.

I suppose you could call the board and ask them about it if you wanted, but it isn't really all that thrilling.
No rhyme, but there is a reason.

The paper certificate IS your license. That is issued through a printing/mailing contract with the Employment Development Department, which also issues 100's of thousands of other licenses statewide for other state agencies. Due to the mass production, the type of paper and font styles are limited. Engineers on staff here proudly display the wall license when our office issued the licenses, raised letter, embossed; really fancy.

The plastic card is an ID card and is issued by our office, after a database manipulation into an excel spreadsheet into a very small machine that individually prints each card. We try to get these to you within 3-4 months after your paper license has been issued. BUT, guess what.......we ran out of supplies and there is no state budget in place for purchasing. No one else uses this antiquated system, so we cannot borrow supplies. Think desktop machine 8.5 x 11 tied to a pc, run by a person who has to develop the excel information for every print job (thats why the error on Land Surveyeyor...header is typed every printing).

The ID card concept (pocket plastic ID) was requested by a former BPELS board member, who saw what was issued at Contractors Board and wanted the same thing. The process was the only thing used back then, and actually we are looking into it again now, to determine if other avenues would better suit the ID card process. I did notice that there is an expiration date on the ID card, since there are no statutes/regulations governing that product, I don't know yet why we continue to re-issue ID cards every renewal. Definetly an expense/time resource worth pursuing.

Any thoughts?

No rhyme, but there is a reason.The paper certificate IS your license. That is issued through a printing/mailing contract with the Employment Development Department, which also issues 100's of thousands of other licenses statewide for other state agencies. Due to the mass production, the type of paper and font styles are limited. Engineers on staff here proudly display the wall license when our office issued the licenses, raised letter, embossed; really fancy.

The plastic card is an ID card and is issued by our office, after a database manipulation into an excel spreadsheet into a very small machine that individually prints each card. We try to get these to you within 3-4 months after your paper license has been issued. BUT, guess what.......we ran out of supplies and there is no state budget in place for purchasing. No one else uses this antiquated system, so we cannot borrow supplies. Think desktop machine 8.5 x 11 tied to a pc, run by a person who has to develop the excel information for every print job (thats why the error on Land Surveyeyor...header is typed every printing).

The ID card concept (pocket plastic ID) was requested by a former BPELS board member, who saw what was issued at Contractors Board and wanted the same thing. The process was the only thing used back then, and actually we are looking into it again now, to determine if other avenues would better suit the ID card process. I did notice that there is an expiration date on the ID card, since there are no statutes/regulations governing that product, I don't know yet why we continue to re-issue ID cards every renewal. Definetly an expense/time resource worth pursuing.

Any thoughts?

I would look into New York's engineering ID card. It isn't mandatory for anything, but somehow their ID card is tied to the DMV over there.

Back