CA PE Timeline

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
- 10/02/18 - Submitted application
- 10/17/18 - Check was cashed
- 11/01/18 - Application referred to technical review
- 11/27/18 - Application approved

- 12/14/18 - Received ATT

- 02/11/19 - Took CA Engineering Survey exam
- 03/18/19 - Received result notice for Survey exam. Passed. 
- 03/31/19- Took CA Engineering Seismic exam
- 04/15/19 - Received result notice for Seismic exam. Passed. 
- 04/29/19 - Received license number

Last edited by a moderator:
Has anyone received an Authorization to Test email for the January - March 2019 time period?

I submited my application on August 15th, went on technicalreview on October 15th, and no news so far.

It's almost 4 months now, has the process take so long for any of you? Should I give a call to the Board?

Thanks!

I submited my application on August 15th, went on technicalreview on October 15th, and no news so far.

It's almost 4 months now, has the process take so long for any of you? Should I give a call to the Board?

Thanks!
I think you should contact them. I heard back in mid November and submitted my application about a month after you did (process took about 60 days). Hopefully you hear back before December 31st.

Thanks!
Definitely try to get ahold of whomever is reviewing your application, via the first letter of your last name. Or perhaps @CAPLS could look into this for you...

Thank you all, I emailed the Board and they said my application was approved and I should get the email next week!

Thanks again and good luck to all of you taking the state exams!

Wondering if anyone just got notification that their application was referred to technical review. I submitted my application June 4; my check was cashed June 14; and got the notification today July 31. 

And has anyone been on this timeline in past years and could tell me when they got approved to take the 2 final exams?

Thank you! 

Wondering if anyone just got notification that their application was referred to technical review. I submitted my application June 4; my check was cashed June 14; and got the notification today July 31. 

And has anyone been on this timeline in past years and could tell me when they got approved to take the 2 final exams?

Thank you! 
I don't know if this helps any since it is not civil related but if the approvals for future exams follows general approval of non-civil applicants then it might be of value.

Hi everyone,

I had a quick question regarding the timeline of the approval for the seismic and surveying exams. Once your application is approved, you receive an authorization to test for the NEXT quarter, is it correct? Or can it be for the same quarter if it's still early in this quarter?

Thanks a lot for your help.

Hi everyone,

I had a quick question regarding the timeline of the approval for the seismic and surveying exams. Once your application is approved, you receive an authorization to test for the NEXT quarter, is it correct? Or can it be for the same quarter if it's still early in this quarter?

@CAPLS I am also interested in this question, as Q4 is almost to an end. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi everyone,

The quarter of testing is generally dictated by the date for when the application is considered as complete and review of the submitted (claimed) education/experience is approved as meeting the minimum required criteria for licensing.

Generally speaking, the list of eligible candidates is created immediately after the end of a quarter such that all applications meeting the above criteria at the time the eligible list is created will be included on the list to receive an authorization to test for the new quarter.

Example 1:  Application is considered as meeting the minimum requirements on July 12 - candidate should be listed on the eligible list when its created just after Oct 1 for testing Oct-Dec (4th quarter)

Example 2: Application is considered as meeting the minimum requirements on September 30 - candidate should be listed on the eligible list when its created just after Oct 1 for testing Oct-Dec (4th quarter)

California Board attempts to make sure that all potential approvals which can be reasonably completed by the end of the quarter, are considered in the process so the date for creating the eligible list may vary 1 or 2 days.

I know that many of you track the date that the application was mailed, received, etc. and while that is understandable, the date the application is deemed to meet the minimum requirements for licensure is really the important date.

The quarter of testing is generally dictated by the date for when the application is considered as complete and review of the submitted (claimed) education/experience is approved as meeting the minimum required criteria for licensing.

Generally speaking, the list of eligible candidates is created immediately after the end of a quarter such that all applications meeting the above criteria at the time the eligible list is created will be included on the list to receive an authorization to test for the new quarter.

Example 1:  Application is considered as meeting the minimum requirements on July 12 - candidate should be listed on the eligible list when its created just after Oct 1 for testing Oct-Dec (4th quarter)

Example 2: Application is considered as meeting the minimum requirements on September 30 - candidate should be listed on the eligible list when its created just after Oct 1 for testing Oct-Dec (4th quarter)

California Board attempts to make sure that all potential approvals which can be reasonably completed by the end of the quarter, are considered in the process so the date for creating the eligible list may vary 1 or 2 days.

I know that many of you track the date that the application was mailed, received, etc. and while that is understandable, the date the application is deemed to meet the minimum requirements for licensure is really the important date.
Thanks for this very clear answer. Helps a lot! 

Interesting. I've been reading these forums and it never crossed my mind that the date of your qualifying experience could be the determining factor, but it makes sense. 

How about applying for comity with 8 years of experience and having your check cashed on August 9th?   Would you expect that to be approved by September 30th, assuming all application forms are correct and qualifying experience applicable?  I feel like I'm pushing it to be approved in time to take it the 4th quarter.  I'm an AASHTO guy, but I still have ASCE 7-10 and all of my seismic notes from the SE a few years ago.  I'm really hoping I'm approved to test before Q1 2020 so that I don't have to upgrade to ASCE 7-16, etc.

Interesting. I've been reading these forums and it never crossed my mind that the date of your qualifying experience could be the determining factor, but it makes sense. 

How about applying for comity with 8 years of experience and having your check cashed on August 9th?   Would you expect that to be approved by September 30th, assuming all application forms are correct and qualifying experience applicable?  I feel like I'm pushing it to be approved in time to take it the 4th quarter.  I'm an AASHTO guy, but I still have ASCE 7-10 and all of my seismic notes from the SE a few years ago.  I'm really hoping I'm approved to test before Q1 2020 so that I don't have to upgrade to ASCE 7-16, etc.
Lukas, I did not intend to give the impression that the process related directly to "date of your qualifying experience", though after going back and reading my previous response, I can see how one may read it in that manner.

When I mentioned "review of the submitted (claimed) education/experience" criteria, I was attempting to emphasize that the application is for the purposes of acquiring a license and two, that criteria is what is being reviewed by the California Board for the purposes of obtaining that license.  Once the "licensing" requirements are considered as being met, then it is determined whether a state exam component is necessary.  If a state exam component is not required, (i.e., mechanical, electrical, etc.), then the next step for the application is licensure.  If the application is for a license that requires a state exam (civil engineer), then the next step for the applicant to satisfy passing the two California Civil exams.  Any applications in the status of the latter process (civil) at the time of determining eligibility for testing at the beginning of each quarter will be included on that list.

I hope this helps.

Post-exams question:

After passing all exams how quickly do you get your license/ certificate etc?

So far for me:

9/9/19 = Got Pass from my last pending exam

9/20/19 = Got License number online

9/27/19 = Got Pocket License

When should i expect wall certificate and also how do i go about buying a stamp?

Thanks!! 

Hello,

I've applied to get CA license by comity and my application was received by the board on Oct 19, 2020 (through USPS tracking). I was hoping that my application might get approved within the quarter (considering I have 6+ years of post PE experience).  So far (it's 11/19/2020 today) they haven't cashed my check or have received any communications from the board. The earliest I can contact the board is Dec 19th after the 60 day period. I wonder if they even review my application within this quarter because of the delays caused by COVID19. Has anyone applied during this quarter and received any communications from the board?

Back