Bridge Problems for the Structural Engineering (SE) Exam - 3rd Edition (AASHTO 8th Edition) now available

Help Support Engineer Boards:

Reaction score
My updated Bridge Problems book for AASHTO 8th Edition is now available. This is the 3rd edition of the book.

Vertical Loads Only:

Bridge Problems for the Structural Engineering (SE) Exam: Vertical Loads - 3rd Edition: Connor SE, David: 9781795498227: Amazon.com: Books

Lateral Loads Only:

Thanks!

Be-n

Reaction score
My updated Bridge Problems book for AASHTO 8th Edition is now available. This is the 3rd edition of the book.

Vertical Loads Only:

Bridge Problems for the Structural Engineering (SE) Exam: Vertical Loads - 3rd Edition: Connor SE, David: 9781795498227: Amazon.com: Books

Lateral Loads Only:

Thanks!
I hope I don’t need vertical and I’ll definitely get the lateral book.
Btw, thank you for the detailed response to my comments I had for the vertical questions in the previous edition.
After going through the material in my class, I still didn’t feel very well prepared for AASHTO problems. Solving 40 vertical problems definitely made me more familiar with AASHTO and provided more practice. The book completely changed my strategy for AASHTO problems. Before, I was putting unfamiliar AASHTO problems until the end of practice exams when I would miss most of them. On the real exam, I didn’t put any ashto problems off . Instead, I solved all of them right after I read them first time. Thanks to AEI SE Vertical class and your book!

Reed D

Reaction score

Vertical Loads Only:

Lateral Loads Only:

Thanks!
Are the problems still the same or there are new ones?

Be-n

Reaction score
Will it be enough to study the 80 problems in this book?

I don’t think studying just example problems would be enough for any topic. You study material from some prep course (AEI covered bridges for building people very well). You review AASHTO, tab it, understand how it is structured, and then use these 80 problems to reinforce what you’ve studied. I felt like this strategy worked great for me, but I’m still waiting for the result.

babyface

Reaction score
I don’t think studying just example problems would be enough for any topic. You study material from some prep course (AEI covered bridges for building people very well). You review AASHTO, tab it, understand how it is structured, and then use these 80 problems to reinforce what you’ve studied. I felt like this strategy worked great for me, but I’m still waiting for the result.
Thank you for your advice! I plan to study the problems, read the topics related to the problems, and as you said tab the code.
I don't have any prep course, that's why i wonder whether this will be enough for the bridge part.

Be-n

Reaction score
Thank you for your advice! I plan to study the problems, read the topics related to the problems, and as you said tab the code.
I don't have any prep course, that's why i wonder whether this will be enough for the bridge part.
I think some sort of summary of the main AASHTO topics that are typically seen on the exam is definitely needed. That’s where AEI binder is a huge help. It was my main source for at least half of AASHTO problems on the exam. I solved all of aashto problems without a single guess, which is unbelievable because a couple of month before the exam I had no clue about AASHTO. Don’t be scared of AASHTO problems. Most of them are pretty straightforward and take less time that some structural problems. Also, keep in mind AASHTO is not only about bridges. It might be anything from a foundation or connection design problem to structural analysis for loads from design traffic. After doing practice exams, I decided that it is better for me to solve AASHTO problems first than spending time on some lengthy steel or concrete calcs, which I was pretty well familiar with. That’s how good was my AEI prep course paired with these 40 vertical problems. Can’t wait for the results that should be posted next week....

Last edited:

babyface

Reaction score
I think some sort of summary of the main AASHTO topics that are typically seen on the exam is definitely needed. That’s where AEI binder is a huge help. It was my main source for at least half of AASHTO problems on the exam. I solved all of aashto problems without a single guess, which is unbelievable because a couple of month before the exam I had no clue about AASHTO. Don’t be scared of AASHTO problems. Most of them are pretty straightforward and take less time that some structural problems. Also, keep in mind AASHTO is not only about bridges. It might be anything from a foundation or connection design problem to structural analysis for loads from design traffic. After doing practice exams, I decided that it is better for me to solve AASHTO problems first than spending time on some lengthy steel or concrete calcs, which I was pretty well familiar with. That’s how good was my AEI prep course paired with these 40 vertical problems. Can’t wait for the results that should be posted next week....
Thank you again! I'm sure you'll pass! Can't wait to see a post that you share your study plan!

Br_Engr

Reaction score
"Don’t be scared of AASHTO problems."

I'm not. Its all of the other ones that freak me out...

Reaction score
Are the problems still the same or there are new ones?

They are the same problems, but updated to the AASHTO 8th edition code. FYI, the AASHTO 8th edition has extensive revisions vs. AASHTO 7th edition. In a nutshell wind loads on bridges are now similar to the buildings and the concrete portion of the code has been revamped so all of the seismic provisions are in 1 section. It's better organized, but made it to where I had to basically revise more than 1/2 the problems in the book, update section references, etc.