Book Recommendations

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I read the first 250 pages or so of "Watchers" by Dean R. Koontz yesterday. My folks read a lot of him when I was growing up, and my mom pulled a couple off the shelf over the weekend. It's a good, easy read. Interesting and suspenseful.
Watchers was one of his good ones. Check out Phantoms, Whispers, Strangers, and Lightning. Those are good, too.
My folks read him a lot when I was growing up. Those are all on the book shelf. Sometime I need to do a book swap with my mom. I've got some titles she's interested in as well.

my wife got the kids the final 2 "Hunger Games" books..

while I stayed indoors during the 105 degree weekend I actually read both books.. I know there meant for teenagers, but the story line in the books keeps you reading.. the second two books are much better than the first, but I really dont see how they will be able to turn them into a decent movie, unless they spend some lord of the rings / star wars type money...

finished reading the op center series, took a break and recently started the Net Force series (also by Clancy). Already on book 4.

G/F is reading Cussler and really enjoying the Dirk Pitt series. I may add that to my list of "to read" in the future.

I heard some news on the radio this morning that there is a sequel coming out for either the Stand or Shining (or both) in the next year. I'm looking forward to reading Wind through the Keyhole when I'm done with Clancy.

Just read Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn...pretty good. I liked the twists. I was fooled almost every time. Thinking about picking up her other books.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been working my way through a series of books by Brad Thor. Not sure what I will put on deck after I'm done with these.

Is Thor any good? Lately, the Cussler-esque adventure writers have gone to he11 in a handbasket. Rollins hasn't written anything good in a loooong time and DuBrul seems to have given up solo writing for writing Cussler's stuff for him.

Craig Dirgo's "The Einstein Papers" was pretty good.

Anyone read the last Repairman Jack before Nighworld is re-released?

Read "Short History of Nearly Everything" by Bill Bryson and it was a good science/history book.

Is Thor any good? Lately, the Cussler-esque adventure writers have gone to he11 in a handbasket. Rollins hasn't written anything good in a loooong time and DuBrul seems to have given up solo writing for writing Cussler's stuff for him.

Craig Dirgo's "The Einstein Papers" was pretty good.

Anyone read the last Repairman Jack before Nighworld is re-released?

I'm no critic but I like the books I've read so far.

I'm about halfway through Killing Lincoln. It's a pretty good read, but I don't buy for a second that O'Reilly wrote it. Theres no way someone like him has time to write books at the pace he claims to. I hope the poor sap in small print under O'Reilly's name gets compensated well.

I read the first 250 pages or so of "Watchers" by Dean R. Koontz yesterday. My folks read a lot of him when I was growing up, and my mom pulled a couple off the shelf over the weekend. It's a good, easy read. Interesting and suspenseful.
Watchers was one of his good ones. Check out Phantoms, Whispers, Strangers, and Lightning. Those are good, too.
My folks read him a lot when I was growing up. Those are all on the book shelf. Sometime I need to do a book swap with my mom. I've got some titles she's interested in as well.
I was always a big Kootz fan, has anyone read his Frankinstein series? I have all of the books to it except the first one, so I plan on starting these once I track down #1...

^^I refuse to read serial novels. Didn't read Green Mile until it was published all at one shot.

Koontz seems to have gone through three periods, and his middle period books (Strangers, Watchers, Lightning, Whispers, Twilight Eyes, The Bad Place) are my favorites.

^^I read the Frankenstein series and liked the books quite a bit. I did wait until the last book was coming out before I started reading them though.

I just started reading The Silmarillion on my tablet... never tried an ebook before.. It's interesting to see the "history" and lore of Middle Earth, even if it is the typical Tolkien style... I've read The Hobbit and the LOTR trilogy before, so it's nice to see the before...

^^I refuse to read serial novels. Didn't read Green Mile until it was published all at one shot.

Koontz seems to have gone through three periods, and his middle period books (Strangers, Watchers, Lightning, Whispers, Twilight Eyes, The Bad Place) are my favorites.
Between me and my parents, we have most of his books. None of his serial novels though.

Back