Before I was an engineer

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has anyone reached the age yet where potty humor isn't funny? It's still going pretty strong for me (ROTFL-LMAO-ASMP). Maybe I'll grow up after 40 or something but for now, anything involving poo and/or bad smells is still funny.
No way, Wolverine - it just gets funnier, I would have to think. All the engineers at my last workplace would get together regularly and discuss the bathroom events at the office, especially our boss (lots of good impersonations - "oohhhh! oooo! ouuuuch!") and we even had names for the types of bowel movements that would occur after eating lunch at certain establishments. For example, the "Rudy's Flash Diarrhea" (after eating at our favorite dive 'Rudolpho's'), "The Pizza Hut Push", "Mom's Round Three" (after eating at 'Mom's Round Two'), "The Bobby Crap-illac's" (after eating at 'Bobby Cadillac's'), "Dan's Daily Diarrhea" (after eating a restaurant named 'Coffee Care' owned by our friend 'Dan'), and but of course, the "Curry Slurry" after eating at 'A Taste of India'. There were others, but I'm starting to forget them.

Roadwreck - I think I got myself in trouble giggling so maniacally at work, reading your story.

But since we're on poop stories, I am tempted to share one of my own:

I lived in a house with 4 other guys during my last semester of college. It was my second senior year, and I only needed maybe three classes to graduate. I remember that these classes consisted of metallurgy (easy), the geography of natural hazards (I'll never move to Missouri), and Art History (there were actually people failing that class. WTF??). So, needless to say, my afternoons were open.

We had an afternoon routine in this house, where myself and the one other roomate who happened to be in engineering, with the same easy 5th year schedule as me, would park ourselves on the couch in the living room and play Intellivision, drink Huber beer ($8.50 a case if you returned the bottles from your previous case), and listen to the Butthole Surfers (Hairway to Steven). It was pretty easy-going.

The living room in this house was situated right between the kitchen and the hallway leading to the bedrooms. There was a bathroom just off the hallway. We had a problem with that toilet, the typical problem where if you don't rattle the handle after you've flushed, the water just keeps running, and the tank never fills. So of course, none of us ever remembered to rattle the handle, and so it was not uncommon to find "unfinished business" floating in the bowl when it was your turn.

My engineering roommate had this skinny, almost mangy Siberian Husky named "She-nook" that must have been part wolf or coyote or something, because even though it was friendly as hell, it was untrainable and almost completely out of control. It was the kind of dog that would knock down visitors to the house in order to lick them on the face, and no amount of "NO!!!!" would stop her.

So one typical afternoon, about 4 or 5 beers into an extended match of "Auto Racing," my roommate jumps up from the couch and says "holy ****! I can't keep this one in!" and then returns a few minutes later, and nonchalantly mentions that the toilet didn't flush, so I shouldn't go in there until he can return and finish flushing the monstrous log he left (and those were his exact words).

A few beers later our doorbell rings, and it's these two girls we had met in "art history" who had decided to take us up on our offer for "tutoring". We both get up from the couch, bring them a beer, and stand around near the doorway chatting. Out of the corner of my eye, I see She-nook run through from the kitchen, heading for the bedroom hallway. I think nothing of it, other than relief that she isn't heading for the girls. The conversation continues.

About 30 seconds later, it's like a ligthbulb goes off over my roommate's head, and he whirls around and runs into the hallway. By this time, I've completely forgotten about the turd. I look back at the girls, shrug my shoulders, and try to continue the conversation. But the sounds of a struggle interrupt us - grunting, a jingling dog collar, splashing, toenails on linoleum - and I suddenly realize, with great horror, what must be happening.

Thinking quickly, I say to the girls "Uh oh, we'd better head out the front door, that dog can be kind of rough." But no sooner as I've said this, my roomate suddenly appears, dragging the dog by her tail through the hallway and into the kitchen. And he's gagging involuntarily. As I'm turning my head, I can see the end of something brown and irregular in her teeth. Oh, sweet mother of Christ!

I turn back to the girls, who are also looking, but more puzzled, and hurry them out the door. In the process, I catch one last glimpse of She-nook, just before her head is dragged out of sight behind the kitchen wall, and right as she makes that doggy "move" to swing her meal around in mid-air for swallowing.

Whew! The girls obviously didn't catch what was going on. I think I explained it away to the effect of "I think the dog got into my roommate's chocolate bars."

For my roommate's part, he later told me that the dog was sniffing and sort of nudging the log around in the bowl when he first ran in, but his sudden appearance apparently triggered some sort of food-survival instinct, and she just gobbled it up as he was dragging her out.

He managed to get her out of the house and into the backyard without too much more trouble. The girls stayed to finish their beers, but to be honest, that was the last time we saw them.

I wonder why?

I really need to save this stuff for home. I am going to hurt myself trying not to laugh out loud!

I was working in an environmental consulting firm, not as an engineer but as a systems analyst (IT work).

I went on a date to six flags one summer day about 10 years ago. It was the second time that I had went out with this girl and she was one of the cheerleaders from my high school, and I was very pumped up about landing this one.

We decided to hit one of those cafe's outside at the park for lunch. I had an awesome chili dog with a bucket-o-fries. well, the food was awesome and quite greasy and began to take its toll on my digestive system. It was a couple of hours later when we were standing in line for a ride that is like a wheel that you sit two people in a car and it goes around and around then tilts and turns 90 degrees and you are going in continous loops, etc. well, we were in line for like 20 minutes already when it started to hit me. being it only the second date, I hadn't broken that fart/**** barrier yet. I couldn't tell her that I had a major case of the trots coming on, so I just held it, and figured I'd make a bathroom break after the ride.

After another ten minutes, we were finally ready to get on the ride with the next boarding, at this time I am in full sphincter control and have it clinched as tight as I possibly could. I was beginning to get the shakes.

We boarded the ride, the seat is like a sea-doo style with a cage around you, so I sat in back with her in front of me leaned up against me. Bad idea. As that ride took off, it went faster and faster and her body and mainly that nice behind was pushed further and further into my gut. Well, I was in full shivers and shakes trying to hold it back, and then things got bad. she must have known that she was smashing up against me as the thing spun and she grabbed the handles on the side of the cage and pulled herself up off of me, which was very relieving for a moment, then all of a sudden she came sliding back at me and as soon as she hit my gut it erupted. No sphincter exercises could have strenghtened it enough to withhold that much pressure. It blew out everywhere. I had shorts on with boxers underneath. It soaked thru the boxers and into my shorts, and you could even see it from outside of my shorts. I told her I just had a bad accident and was very sorry. She got quite. When the ride ended, she said "we need to find you a bathroom", I was like "no kidding"

We found a bathroom where I shagged the boxers, and tried using brown paper towels to clean up my shorts, but it was nasty and smelly. We left immediately. It was about 45 minutes to drive her home. We were silent almost the whole way and did not even talk about what happened. When we got to her house, I said "I'm really sorry about this today" she said "don't worry about it"

I never went out with her again, and have only seen her out a few times since, but no one has ever mentioned this to me, so I don't think that she ever told a soul. I thank her for that, but when I accidentally see her out, I get a sick feeling in my stomach. I wouldn't go to our h.s. reunion either thinking she'll probably go.

stay away from the grease fries.

One of my buddies got married a couple of years ago and his reception was at a nice resort in Morgantown called LakeView. There were eight groomsmen and eight bridesmaids and it was an open bar. Needless to say, the reception turned into more of a party for the wedding party. Well, we drank every drop of alchohol in the banquet hall, so we had to go to the bar in the place. Really nice sports bar that had a deck that overlooked the 18th green of the golf course. So, it gets late and we are all hammered. Two of my buddies who were groomsmen decide to have a pissing contest to see who could piss closest to the flag. Being as we were up about 20 feet on a deck, they were getting some pretty impressive distance. One of the guys was a very large fellow of about 6-6, 275 lbs and one of the funniest S.O.B.'s I know. He's straining like hell trying to win the contest when he all of a sudden does the stiffen up and clench your cheeks "move", and takes off running inside. Apparently, while pushing very hard to get the required distance, he **** in his tuxedo (rented). He just changed clothes in his hotel room and took the tux back the next day. Never said a word to the people at the tux shop. I would have liked to have been there when they tried to dry clean that bad boy.

Well, seeing as the topic of this thread has devolved from summer jobs to digestive diasters, I'll chime in with one.

A few years ago, it was snowing like mad one day, and our office closed early. My girlfriend at the time (who's going to marry me in spite of this) was in town visiting for a few days. So I came out, we had Chinese buffet for lunch, grabbed a case of beer, and headed over to the local school to go sleigh riding.

There was a great big hill there that was great for sledding. So we shoved the beer in the snow and had at it. We had been doing this for an hour or so when I began to feel a pressure in my lower abdomen. The vast amount of food I had eaten for lunch was pushing like a weight on the half digested meal already in there. (typical post-buffet phenomenon) The 3 or 4 beers weren't helping either with this volumetric dilemma.

Well naturally I ignored it and kept sledding. It was just too much fun. Plus it was too cold to drop a loaf in the woods. Well another half hour and a couple more beers later, I'm really hurting. But I wanted to get one or two more last runs in before heading home. The sporadic yet fetid pop gun farts I had should have been a clue to quit. Naturally, I tempted fate instead.

I ran with all my might and jumped on the sled. I'm really flying down the hil, until.....OH ****! I'm heading for a rock sticking out of the ground. I hit the rock, got some air, and was thrown from my snowy chariot.

I proceeded to roll the rest of the way down the hill. Unbeknownst to me, sometime during that chaos, I released a steaming batch of trouser chutney right into my snug fitting long johns.

My little lady, her concern evident, and seeing the look of sheer horror on my face as I realized the gravity of my situation, hollers out from the top of the hill - "Are you OK?" I think I muttered, "I'll be right back!" Then did the old soggy sphincter shuffe into the woods to evaluate the mess.

It wasn't pretty.

What was worse, there wasn't a roll of TP within a mile radius of me. There was however, an abundance of snow that made for a chilly but effective clean up operation. My thighs didn't thaw out for a week afterwards.

And that was we now affectionately refer to as, "The Poopsicle Incident"

poop.jpg

Thanks for bump ing that thread Sapper. That was hilarious. I think I had everyone lookign at me because I couldn't hold in the laughter. Great stories guys. Of course made the Thursday morning go by much quicker.

This **** is hilarious (pardon the pun). But I agree that I should've read these at home. My co-workers have been looking at me funny for the last 15 minutes.

:Locolaugh: :bowdown:

Wow- what a bunch of stories. I guess I will start with my jobs since that is what this post was originally about.

From probably grade school up through junior high school, I worked on local farms. My grandfather was a farmer and I used to stack hay and straw bails. I used to hoe rows of plants that seemed a mile long and got paid dang near nothing.

Then I was a dishwasher at a couple places once I got my license to drive.

When I graduated from H.S. I fixed pallets which has to be one of the worst jobs of all time.

I would get a stack of bad pallets 18 high. Pull off the top pallet, throw it on the work bench, tear off the bad boards, nail on the good boards, flip it over, tear off the bad boards, nail on the good boards and make a stack of good pallets 18 high. In the winter, the pallets would be full of ice and snow and weigh an extra 25 pounds each. My gloves would be soaked through and it was a crappy, sloppy job in the winter. In the summer, I was breathing in sawdust and ceramics dust or whatever had been on the pallets last. We were in a steel frame building that was like a **** oven. I made minimum wage plus 10 cents a pallet. I went to college during the day and worked that job at night. I worked there for over a year- it had to be because I actually earned a paid vacation. I guess that is where I learned to persevere. I didn't quit because they were very easy with my work schedule and I could work extra on the weekends and get 25 cents a pallet on sat. and sunday.

I paid my own way through RIT- went to Woodstock in '94 and brought a couple thousand T-shirts with me that I designed and paid to get screen printed. I actually made about $500 an hour until it started to rain. I cleared about $3,500 that weekend and used that to get into school.

Sold my car for additional money since I couldn't afford to keep it on the road anyways and I lived in the dorms. I worked at Arby's in the Marketplace Mall food court. I kept $5 back from every paycheck so I would have the dollar a day it took to ride the bus to work. All of the rest of the money went to the bursar's office. I was on the meal plan and lived on campus so my entire life was financed.

I had a co-op position for 6 months at New Venture Gear in Syracuse which allowed me to get my tuition paid up. I remember paying for my entire bill using credit cards one semester (actually quarters, not semesters) but I found a way.

My next co-op was in sunny San Diego at SAIC- Science Applications International Corporation. They gave me an airline ticket out, paid me $15 an hour and even paid for my apartment which was walking distance to work. I always did whatever I could to get as much OT as possible during my co-ops becuase I was always behind the 8-ball trying to get that damned tuition paid. RIT got all my freaking money.

I got kicked out of school - honest to God- 8 credit hours shy of graduation- becuase I owed them to much money.

My good friend convinced me to start a computer store with him and I did that for 5 or 6 years but then sold him my half of the business and went back and got my degree which says I graduated with a BSME in May of 2003. So that took a long time but dammit, I did it.

I then moved to Kingman, AZ in the spring of 2004 and have been working in civil engineering ever since that time.

I have my degree.

I have my wonderful wife.

I have my license.

I have my home.

I have my airplane.

I have money in the bank.

I am happy now.

I have arrived. :winko:

Before my husband and I were married, I was out of work after moving or something. Anyway, he was working as an electrician and supervising a job at a saw mill to run cunduit and pull wire at the ceiling 40 feet up. Since I didn't have any other plan, I worked for him for 2 weeks running conduit, terminating panels, etc. I was cutting and threading pipe, carrying it up a 40' ladder, and getting it connected and strapped. I can't believe I did that. I prefer a cubicle.

So civilsid, got any pictures of those original Woodstock T-shirt designs? I've considered doing that for extra cash. Tourists love to buy T-shirts, but most of what's available to them are crap. A decent design would probably outsell all of it, and it's so easy to get into - just hire a screen printer, and you're basically done.

I put myself thru school too, but I saved a ton of money by renting my own apartments and getting roomates to help with the rent. plus, by renting in the seedier neighborhoods of Boston, I got to meet interesting people like prostitutes and drug addicts that we just didn't get to know back on the farm!

I bush hogged fields for a couple of summers. I made about 22 bucks an hour doing that. I worked as a substitute lifeguard and worked my way up to assistant manager over a couple of years. Didjn't get paid that much, but the scenery was outstanding.

Back