What the engineer said...

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dr.Janet

Reaction score
I have a question.

I recently bought a building that had a catwalk and stairs attached to a building across the alley. I do not own the 2nd building.that I do not own.

We share an alley.

The stairs to the catwalk were built in 1914 when one owner owned both buildings.

My insurance company said they would not insure the building with the staircase because it is unsafe.

I had a structural engineer come out and tell me that although the catwalk was sound it was a dangerous catwalk and stairway. It should come down.

The catwalk and staircase are not built to code.

I talked to the municipal codes inspector and she said she would not get involved because she believed it was a disagreement between 2 building owners.

The Safety office for the town said to put up signs saying unsafe, do not use, not liable for injuries and contact an attorney.

I contacted 2 attorneys who said it was personal property, unsafe and there were not property encumbrances. Take it down.

The police chief said that if I took it down without a permit he would put me in jail and take me to civil and criminal court.

They are meeting today to determine what to do.

I did file for a permit and they are taking weeks to determine what to do.

What am I missing here?

Dr. Janet

I'm not sure that you're missing much. Once they issue a permit, take down the unsafe stairs/catwalk. In the meantime, signs/caution tape probably wouldn't hurt.

Are you saying that the owner of the building you don't own wants to keep the stairs and catwalk? Why would they want to keep it if it connects to your building, a building they don't own? If both of you want to remove it, it can't possibly be this hard.

Are you saying that the owner of the building you don't own wants to keep the stairs and catwalk? Why would they want to keep it if it connects to your building, a building they don't own? If both of you want to remove it, it can't possibly be this hard.
Sounds like the code official is requiring egress exits for life safety, but they're not sound.

Back