bathroom remodel

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snickerd3

Taking suggestions
Reaction score
well everything finally came in and was delivered yesterday. Only need to decide on the flooring, since we bought the toliet this weekend. Its rather annoying when everything you like just happens to be the most expensive. <_<

We gutted the upstairs bathroom. now the fun begins putting everything in.

I'll try to remember to post some pictures.

Good luck with the remodel... we gutted our bathroom this past November... We're really happy with it all... I think the final total was something like $3000...

Keep us posted

Good luck with the remodel... we gutted our bathroom this past November... We're really happy with it all... I think the final total was something like $3000...
Keep us posted
we will probably end up closer to $5000. We picked a manufactured granite type material for the shower which ate up a lot of the $...can't really say budget cuz we really didn't set one. Mr Snick got a REALLY nice bonus this spring which is paying for it all.

we contemplated knocking out our walkin closet to make the bathroom larger then shorten the bedroom to add closet, but that was too much like work.

yes lets see some pics!

did you have an existing tile floor?

I want to change out the tile in one of our bathrooms, I didnt know if there is a way to do it so that you can retain the wonderboard beneath it?

well everything finally came in and was delivered yesterday. Only need to decide on the flooring, since we bought the toliet this weekend. Its rather annoying when everything you like just happens to be the most expensive. <_<
We gutted the upstairs bathroom. now the fun begins putting everything in.

I'll try to remember to post some pictures.
Everyone loves pictures of EB members in the bathroom!

yes lets see some pics!

I want to change out the tile in one of our bathrooms, I didnt know if there is a way to do it so that you can retain the wonderboard beneath it?
no tile, it was the ever basic peel and stick tile. Which came up very easily, thank goodness.

yes lets see some pics!

I've never removed a tile floor, but I'd assumed you'd want to remove the wonderboard/hardi-backer (it's relatively cheap) to get a smooth, even surface for the new tile... otherwise you're fighting the leftovers from the grout/mastic....

yeah thats what I am thinking, but I know when I install wonder board I also use mortar to attach the wonder board to the sub floor, maybe since the builder did it he just screwed it in...

you could do what I did, and just tear the subfloor out too (50+ yr old house w/ 1x8s @ 45° to the joists....)

Bathroom_Remodel__11_24_09__06.JPG

Bathroom_Remodel__11_24_09__11.JPG

It worked for us, but we had other issues that led to that (sagging beams, too much bounce,etc)

Last edited by a moderator:
did you cut some dudes head off and leave it on the floor?

lol

thats what I am afraind I am going to have to do whenever I start that project...

Snick - Mrs JR and I have decided that our next major project will be a complete remodel of the master bathroom. As it turns out, everything on Mrs. JR's checklist appears to be the MOST expensive as well!

I am still looking at budget now to see when/how this will fly. I would like to budget to not exceed $10k at this point.

JR

before pic

IMG_5340.jpg

^^^ Have you tried http://imageshack.us/

It allows you to size for the application and you aren't consuming available room on your EB account. Also, it doesn't suffer from the NSFW issue that Photobucket has garnered.

JR

The wife decided to redo the powder room while I am gone. The guy who did our bathroom in our old house does a really good job, he does his work like he'd do it in his own house, and he does it on the side so it takes a little longer but it's a lot cheaper. This is just the first project on our list because it is a fairly small one and we figured it's be nice to not have a crooked toilet in there. We found out that the reason for that was the idiot who thought he was a handyman that used to live there. Apparently they fudged in a homemade cast iron-to-PVC coupling that didn't quite work right and they didn't even bother to anchor it at all so to fix it they just got one of those porcelain plate do-hickeys that goes on the floor that the toilet mounts on top of. Kind of explains the lopsided toilet and the stains in the drywall ceiling downstairs (our guy's regular dayjob is drywall so that'll be an easy fix). Also made it an easy decision to get rid of the ugly parquey (sp?) flooring in there. Supposedly the wife was a decorater, but based on the old wallpaper that was hiding behind the toilet, she must have been as good at that as he was at home improvements.

old wallpaper is always a good laugh.

We got the ceiling drywall up and most of the plumbing done this weekend.

dumb question.. I am going to use the same tile for my tub / shower in the basement as I want to use on part of the wall in the bathroom. Can you use the same mortar over sheetrock that you do for the wonderboard?

I was originally going to use green sheetrock to tile over in the shower then learned that while it is "code approved" I tore it out and put in wonderboard (or durarock stuff) after I had people warn me about mold.. but I want to take the tile from the shower and wrap it around an adjacent small wall and wondered if the same mortar can be used or if something different is needed to get the tile to mount to sheetrock......??

Back