Asking for a raise after passing the PE Exam.

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I work for a large state agency so the raise is automatic. Range C to range D. After a few step raises it will end up being a 10k/ year. raise. Biggest perk is the ability to move into management.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Our company policy states once the PE registration certificate is submitted, we're eligible for a one time salary increase of $50/week, which should be a little over 4% for me.

I passed the PE exam and have 3 years of experience(civil).I didn't get a raise after passing but make 56k. Does this seem about right or too high it too low?

I passed the PE exam and have 3 years of experience(civil).I didn't get a raise after passing but make 56k. Does this seem about right or too high it too low?
It's too high, tell them you need a pay cut.

But in all seriousness, that is probably about right for CE. If you were ME or EE, I would say too low for sure. For the record, I am an ME with 7 years exp, and make more than double that. I just got a 3% raise for obtaining PE.

I'm in building structures on the east coast. I just passed the PE... found out last week. Yesterday my boss asked me into his office and gave me a title change (Engineer I to Engineer II) and a 9.67% pay increase. I'll take it!

And, for the record, I do NOT make six figures. 

I'm in building structures on the east coast. I just passed the PE... found out last week. Yesterday my boss asked me into his office and gave me a title change (Engineer I to Engineer II) and a 9.67% pay increase. I'll take it!

And, for the record, I do NOT make six figures. 
"title change" and "pay increase" were odd choices... I should say a PROMOTION and a RAISE because hell yeah

I did get a get raise but management dragged their feet on it. It was about 10k per year but I'm not near 6 figures yet. As far as pay, 6 figures may not be that impressive depending upon where you are located. 100k goes further in Ohio than California but your mileage may vary.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I'll be "that guy" that throws some numbers out there. I am a Mechanical Engineer working in consulting and building design in Georgia. After 2 year, I got a raise to $62,000 per year. With the license and my expected yearly raise, I am looking to get a 15% raise to about $72,000. Part of my problem is getting the courage to actually talk to management about this. I plan to take the approach of letting them know everything I have to offer other company's if I were to leave and how well they would compensate me.

I plan to take the approach of letting them know everything I have to offer other company's if I were to leave and how well they would compensate me.
That would be setting yourself up for failure. Never go to the bargaining table with a threat like that. Even if they give you what you want, you're going to leave everyone involved with a bad taste in their mouth. Next time work slows down, you'll be at the top of the list to let go.

Instead, try outlining your current responsibilities, what you bring to the company on a regular basis, and how you think you can help in new ways. What more are you bringing to the table now? What have you been doing over and above your regular responsibilities? If you go to your manager having solved one of their problems, they're more likely to go to bat for you. If you go to them with thinly veiled threats, it'll end badly. 

FWIW, I'm a ME, 9 years out of school. When I got into MEP right after school, I was making mid-50's. I jumped ship to work in a highly regulated industry after 3 years and started making mid-70s. Now I'm back in MEP and making 100k, with a 10k raise on the table for passing the PE. That being said, I'm bailing on MEP again to go back into industry. MEP is too up and down for me, the benefits suck, the whole environment is too much. Now my PE is more or less worthless, but it was a nice personal goal, and I'm happy I went through with it. 

Our company policy is a $4800 raise and a $2000 bonus after passing PE, then you're likely to get a raise/promotion at your next review (if you are inexperienced and at a lower level).  I'm a Structural Engineer in Houston and made 6 figures last year for the first time, with 5 years experience at the time.

Our company policy is a $4800 raise and a $2000 bonus after passing PE, then you're likely to get a raise/promotion at your next review (if you are inexperienced and at a lower level).  I'm a Structural Engineer in Houston and made 6 figures last year for the first time, with 5 years experience at the time.
Dang I need to move to Houston. Funny how I have two jobs I am currently working on in Houston, but I am from out of state. Might as well jump ship to the great state of TX to practice structural engineering

I think it's widely known and accepted that most engineers regardless of field/industry do not get near 6 figures in their first 6 years of working. 
Most nuclear engineers would disagree with this statement. I believe petroleum engineers are in a similar pay situation.

But it makes sense for the rest of the engineering disciplines when averaged out across the country.

Most nuclear engineers would disagree with this statement. I believe petroleum engineers are in a similar pay situation.

But it makes sense for the rest of the engineering disciplines when averaged out across the country.
I disagree. Most engineers aren't nuclear/petroleum. So even if most nuclear/petroleum engineers make over 100k within 6 years, they probably know their on the top end  (semantics, I know :)  )

I'm in CA and starting pay with a master's in CeEn (Structural) was 65k. After 1 year I got bumped to 75k. 

@BamaStrucPE I'm curious what your pay was for each of the 5 years, if you mind sharing? I always thought CA would be highest paying for structural, but Houston sounds higher and has a lower COL!

I disagree. Most engineers aren't nuclear/petroleum. So even if most nuclear/petroleum engineers make over 100k within 6 years, they probably know their on the top end  (semantics, I know :)  )
I thought about that too as I was typing out the response. I agree with the logical semantic structure of the sentence still support the larger thesis. But I was pointing discipline does matter.

We're acutely aware that we're on the left end of the bell curve.  :B  ...Of course the discipline might not be around in an appreciable form in 30 years too.  :(

I'm in CA and starting pay with a master's in CeEn (Structural) was 65k. After 1 year I got bumped to 75k. 

@BamaStrucPE I'm curious what your pay was for each of the 5 years, if you mind sharing? I always thought CA would be highest paying for structural, but Houston sounds higher and has a lower COL!
I've only been in Houston for about 3 years, but first two years I was in the mid fifties. Third year I traveled a lot, so had quite a bit of OT, moved to Houston and got my PE, both of which increased my rate, but I think I made lower $70k, fourth year was full time Houston PE rate and made mid $80k, fifth year had a lot of OT again, so that pushed me to lower 6 figures, but I think base rate was upper eighties low nineties.

I'm neither Nuclear or Petroleum (I did work at a nuke plant as a mechanical systems engineer for almost 2 years though).

My salary history for the last 7 years has been $57,600, $56,000, $70,000, $86,400, $98,100, $117,000. This is base salary at 6 different companies, no bonus, no OT (never got OT since I have always been exempt).

I wonder how it compares when you also factor in benefits. I am pretty sure I don't make all that much on base pay, but hopefully my benefits make up for it a bit in that medical/dental/vision are covered, retirement pension match of 2:1 with me paying in 7% (so 21% of my pay each year), and a few other odds and ends that are likely more similar.

If someone making $10k+ more than me in a similar area has to pay out of pocket towards medical/dental/vision and doesn't get much retirement help, then it may balance out more. Otherwise I am likely just sticking around letting them pay me less than I deserve... We shall see what happens in under a year when I can actually register for my PE.

Back