April 2018 SE Exam Results

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you haven't seen my book on AASHTO SE exam questions, please look into it.  I specifically wrote it for us building engineers who have to answer AASHTO questions on this exam. Lots of people have told me it was a great help on the bridge questions.  
David,

I would agree.  It has been a huge help. Thank you. I did feel there were still about 2-3/8 that weren't covered but having gone through the content that your text did cover, it gave me a fighting chance to find them.

If you haven't seen my book on AASHTO SE exam questions, please look into it.  I specifically wrote it for us building engineers who have to answer AASHTO questions on this exam. Lots of people have told me it was a great help on the bridge questions.  
It was a great help.  Thanks for writing that book.

I'm really hoping they don't switch to 8th edition until spring 2018 as I will be retaking in the fall.  My current AASHTO has so many notes in it.

image.png

Been taking this test for 3 years.  Never seen pass rates this low.  Please tell me how how this makes any sense.  

We are not building the space shuttle here.  This is a scam.

I'm struggling to grasp the low pass rates too.  Should this test be difficult? Yes, definitely.  Do I think the current average practicing structural engineer (especially in my state, Georgia) can pass this test? Heck no.  

I'd love to know the true intentions of the powers that be in having such low pass rates for this test.  I'm not so sure that public safety is the honest goal.  

Aright, everyone. I did not make it either. I was very close though. 24 in the morning and A,IR,A,IR

Very bummed but I am getting ready for another round. Prayers to all. 

Last edited by a moderator:
BAR exam : 70+% pass rate

Medical Licensing Exams: 70+% pass rate

Accounting Licensing Exams: 50+% pass rate

SE Exams: <30% pass rate

Something about the pass rates compared to compensation rates (and arguably ,in some cases, responsibility to the public) do not seem to line up.  Not much we can do though except play the hand we are dealt.

We can start businesses.
Indeed.  It is something I have considered (I have graduate education in both engineering and business).  I think this license would go a long way in assisting with that endeavor.

Interestingly, and in all seriousness, the success rates of startups may be slightly better than the pass rate for this exam. :)

BAR exam : 70+% pass rate

Medical Licensing Exams: 70+% pass rate

Accounting Licensing Exams: 50+% pass rate

SE Exams: <30% pass rate

Something about the pass rates compared to compensation rates (and arguably ,in some cases, responsibility to the public) do not seem to line up.  Not much we can do though except play the hand we are dealt.
thats it i am becoming a surgeon because its easier.....

Sorry to hear that.  Was this for the Vertical or Lateral test?
Thank you. The good news is that I know what I messed up on. I will have to fix these areas and get it done next round. 

Thank you all for your support. 

MN results are FINALLY out...I passed vertical (bridges). Good luck to the rest of you folks, see you in the fall for lateral!

I took Lateral in Illinois, although no results from NCEES, I did receive my license from them overnight Saturday night.  So I finally passed on attempt 3 after passing Vertical on the first try.  

My personal opinion of this lateral exam compared to previous exams is that the test was more straightforward, more "textbook" problems on the afternoon compared to the two previous attempts.  This could be simply due to all the accumulated studying over the course of about 18 months. 

My first attempt I got 22/40 A/A/A/IR, so the morning got me.  My second attempt I got 28/40 A/A/A/UA, so 1 afternoon problem got me there.  I walked out feeling very good about the exam. 

My thoughts on what helped me:  One thing I made sure I did on each problem was to cite all equations used with  code references, so my thought process was clear.  I always write down all the information given to me in the problem, which helped me absorb the information better and make sure to understand what they are asking for. 

I took Lateral in Illinois, although no results from NCEES, I did receive my license from them overnight Saturday night.  So I finally passed on attempt 3 after passing Vertical on the first try.  

My personal opinion of this lateral exam compared to previous exams is that the test was more straightforward, more "textbook" problems on the afternoon compared to the two previous attempts.  This could be simply due to all the accumulated studying over the course of about 18 months. 

My first attempt I got 22/40 A/A/A/IR, so the morning got me.  My second attempt I got 28/40 A/A/A/UA, so 1 afternoon problem got me there.  I walked out feeling very good about the exam. 

My thoughts on what helped me:  One thing I made sure I did on each problem was to cite all equations used with  code references, so my thought process was clear.  I always write down all the information given to me in the problem, which helped me absorb the information better and make sure to understand what they are asking for. 
Did you take a class

Back