April 2018 SE Exam Results

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Please don't bug the NCEES chat bots today. They have gone sentient and will continue to withhold the results because they love to cause stress and anxiety.  

Everyone has lost faith. I am just going to assume the results are out and I passed. After all, we are the king (queen) of assumptions in our daily structural design world.
What if I assume that you failed? We now have conflicting assumptions. I feel like we shall have to rochambeau to determine the proper assumption. I shall do the honorable thing and take the first turn kicking.

What if I assume that you failed? We now have conflicting assumptions. I feel like we shall have to rochambeau to determine the proper assumption. I shall do the honorable thing and take the first turn kicking.
My assumption is based on experience. I have never failed an academic test ever. By extrapolation, I should pass.
If failed, on bright side, I would be making history for myself, LOL.

Everyone has lost faith. I am just going to assume the results are out and I passed. After all, we are the king (queen) of assumptions in our daily structural design world.
I’ve waffled back and forth on my assumption, more than my wife trying to decide what shoes go with what dress.

At this point, I’m assuming they’ve lost my exam, have no record that I even exist, and am contemplating moving into a van down by the river.

My assumption is based on experience. I have never failed an academic test ever. By extrapolation, I should pass.
Oh, I was there once too. I hope you did pass, my test taking amigo, but I don't see shame in failing something you have never been exposed to. Special Seismic detailing and the AASHTO manual being a couple of those items for me. They might as well have asked me to self perform a lobotomy. 12 years of experience and not a single SDC D+ building or bridge later, the great state of Georgia decides that this test is important for me to continue my career. In short, I'm a little butthurt about having to take an exam that really only affects the west coast and I will certainly never use again. I suppose I am starting to get as bitter as some of my older colleagues due to the changing codes, especially changes that are irrelevant like the modification of wind loadings from ASCE 7-05 to ASCE 7-10.

Oh, I was there once too. I hope you did pass, my test taking amigo, but I don't see shame in failing something you have never been exposed to. Special Seismic detailing and the AASHTO manual being a couple of those items for me. They might as well have asked me to self perform a lobotomy. 12 years of experience and not a single SDC D+ building or bridge later, the great state of Georgia decides that this test is important for me to continue my career. In short, I'm a little butthurt about having to take an exam that really only affects the west coast and I will certainly never use again. I suppose I am starting to get as bitter as some of my older colleagues due to the changing codes, especially changes that are irrelevant like the modification of wind loadings from ASCE 7-05 to ASCE 7-10.
I can’t wait to hear the public outcry on 7-16.

Look up Georgia Rule 180-2-.04

Georgia adopted the definition of a structural engineer as one who designs building defined as designated structures, which are risk category III or IV, buildings overs 100,000sqft with accessible areas at over 45ft above grade level, building with height to width ratio or 7 or greater, or buildings that are analyzed using non-linear time history analysis. If you do not work on buildings by these definitions the state of Georgia defines you as a civil engineer who engages in the design of structural elements which is supposed to be allowed to take the 8hr PE civil breadth structural depth exam. Although i feel confident with my performance on the exam if i do not pass i may petition with the state on being allowed the 8hr test because by their adopted rules published on the state website i am not required to take the 16hour SE exam. However, the law is interpreted by the board so it may not mean much. 

Most of the buildings I work on just a few hours north of you in Charleston are SDC D as well...totally agree with you on the bridges part though

Last edited by a moderator:
Nowhere  in my comment I imply that there is a shame in failing. Just having courage to register for this test is an act of valor. 

Look up Georgia Rule 180-2-.04

Georgia adopted the definition of a structural engineer as one who designs building defined as designated structures, which are risk category III or IV, buildings overs 100,000sqft with accessible areas at over 45ft above grade level, building with height to width ratio or 7 or greater, or buildings that are analyzed using non-linear time history analysis. If you do not work on buildings by these definitions the state of Georgia defines you as a civil engineer who engages in the design of structural elements which is supposed to be allowed to take the 8hr PE civil breadth structural depth exam. Although i feel confident with my performance on the exam if i do not pass i may petition with the state on being allowed the 8hr test because by their adopted rules published on the state website i am not required to take the 16hour SE exam. However, the law is interpreted by the board so it may not mean much. 
I hear you, but I don't think a petition will do much. I considered as much when they denied my reciprocity, however, I've had colleagues that have attempted to fight it and they were unsuccessful. I'm not saying you will be, but I am saying the odds aren't in your favor. I'm just knuckling under and doing as I'm told.

I am hopeful that this cut score meeting will be a positive for us, it is the first cut score meetings since the test was introduced and when the SE is compared to the PE the pass rates, they are significantly lower. And when you review other threads with scores of 30/40 A/A/A/UA as a failing exam, i am sorry that is too strict in my opinion, by their own definition the test is to prove minimum understanding not full understanding. between bridges and buildings we probably have a 35ish % pass rate while all other PE average around 60%, while our test should be considered harder, it is more in depth and two days, i dont think the passing percentage should be half, i don't find it a coincidence that ALL the PE test have similar pass rates, i would imagine that is by design. So hopefully that was discussed at the meeting and the cut score was lowered and will be implemented on our tests. 

Nowhere  in my comment I imply that there is a shame in failing. Just having courage to register for this test is an act of valor. 
I didn't take it that way. All I meant was good luck, but if you DID fail and pass on the second try you are well within the statistical average of a high IQ/advanced degree sector of the population. That and the fact that I don't see buildings falling left and right tells me the test is too difficult for measuring a MINIMUM standard of competency.

Last edited by a moderator:
I hear you, but I don't think a petition will do much. I considered as much when they denied my reciprocity, however, I've had colleagues that have attempted to fight it and they were unsuccessful. I'm not saying you will be, but I am saying the odds aren't in your favor. I'm just knuckling under and doing as I'm told.
Oh i realize the chances are slim, but if for some reason i were to fail i would not retest till next spring so i would have plenty of time to at least try. Similar to dating the worst they can say is no. I am encouraging another engineer in the office getting ready to fill out his application to specifically state they have never worked on nor will work on designated structure as defined by Georgia rule ..blah.. and see what happens with that.

I hope you passed! But brace yourself to be humbled.  I'd never failed a test either, passed all 3 CA PE exam's first try, passed gravity first try, this was my 4th attempt on lateral. 

Back