April 2018 15K SPAM thread

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have better luck with providing a genric set of drawings, let the field build whatever they want to, and Providing Record Documents. Instead of Build per the plans it is Plan what they Build. 
Or better yet, just give them a blank border and have them redline the As-Built for you since they'll build whatever they want anyway. Then hand it off to a drafter to get it into CAD. Then you sit back, relax, and watch the world crumble.

Or better yet, just give them a blank border and have them redline the As-Built for you since they'll build whatever they want anyway. Then hand it off to a drafter to get it into CAD. Then you sit back, relax, and watch the world crumble.
I feel like I have done this project before.  I don't feel it went well at all.  I particularly like the ones where they say, I built this, does it work. And then i have to figure out how to MAKE it work.

So many times as-built is not real.  When assets are underground it's hard to confirm unless you were watching the construction at all critical junctions/locations.

Topsies yay

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I've just completed my morning ritual of going through every exam result-related thread on this site and nothing...looks like it won't happen until Thursday.... :waitwall:

I have better luck with providing a genric set of drawings, let the field build whatever they want to, and Providing Record Documents. Instead of Build per the plans it is Plan what they Build. 
I celebrate when my flowlines are installed within 6" of what is shown on the plans.   :thumbs:

So many times as-built is not real.  When assets are underground it's hard to confirm unless you were watching the construction at all critical junctions/locations.

Topsies yay
My assets (other than foundations) tend to not be underground.  And typically the special inspector is keeping me informed if those are wrong.

Why would people follow our plans? We only spent time perfecting them because we need something to keep our selves busy. We recently received review letter from a town asking us to certify a design will still work, because the contractor lowered the top of the outlet control structure by 1 ft. In the field 

I feel like I have done this project before.  I don't feel it went well at all.  I particularly like the ones where they say, I built this, does it work. And then i have to figure out how to MAKE it work.
Welcome to my world.  This issue came up earlier to day.  Field did not follow plans and did not install the electric conduit into the building under the foundation before it was poured.  Now we have to jump through hoops and figure out a way to put the conudit under a courtyard with a swimming pool and lets of amenities and landscaping.

We got the lights in our office put on dimmers because the light was too bright for one of our employees. Someone turned the lights down yesterday, and it's noticeably dimmer in here, especially today because it's overcast. It's kinda weird? But kinda nice on the eyes, too?

I wish we could do that.  My cube is fluorescent hell.

I wish we could do that.  My cube is fluorescent hell.
Ugh! That sucks. We have an open floorplan, so no cubes. Just half-raised desks (not quite standing). We're a small office, so it works pretty well.

Do you have a filter on your monitors? I use a filter add-on called f.lux that adjusts the warmth of my screen per the daylight hours. I have a similar thing on my smartphone, too.

default_waitwall.gif

default_waitwall.gif

default_waitwall.gif

default_waitwall.gif

default_waitwall.gif

default_waitwall.gif

default_waitwall.gif

default_waitwall.gif

default_waitwall.gif

default_waitwall.gif
 this is awesome

Ugh! That sucks. We have an open floorplan, so no cubes. Just half-raised desks (not quite standing). We're a small office, so it works pretty well.

Do you have a filter on your monitors? I use a filter add-on called f.lux that adjusts the warmth of my screen per the daylight hours. I have a similar thing on my smartphone, too.
I'm running f.lux, too! I pretty much just leave it on "Cave Painting." Freaks people out, but I've been using it for years. I love it! Plus, I wear earplugs all day so I'm the most mellow dude in here with my absolute silence and dark monitors.

We got the lights in our office put on dimmers because the light was too bright for one of our employees. Someone turned the lights down yesterday, and it's noticeably dimmer in here, especially today because it's overcast. It's kinda weird? But kinda nice on the eyes, too?
I keep one of the lights in my office off and stopped getting headaches.  That or I took the fing 8hr PE exam and the headaches stopped.  One of the two probably.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back