April 2013 SE, how did you do?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Since it's on the NCEES site wouldn't they all just go up at the same time?

Since it's on the NCEES site wouldn't they all just go up at the same time?
sadly no, the state testing board has to approve the results and give NCEES permission to release them. Each board has their own rules and times when they decide stuff

Gahhhh, I managed not to stress out about this until now but I can hardly bare waiting to learn my results. This is tougher than I thought it was going to be... Faster Maine, faster!

I think you will have a better chance of passing each component by tackle it separately. I passed each separately on 1st try. Put in about 200+ hours of study for each though. Granted that I am already a practicing PE for over 6 years but still I wouldn't dare to walk into that exam without putting in the effort.

Damnit. Failed Lateral (Bridges) for the 2nd time. Passed all 3 PM essay problems. Got slammed on the AM multiple choice again.

I can't stand the blatant bias towards buildings on this exam.....

Damnit...

Passed vertical.

Failed lateral.

That's what I did last October. Just buckle down and focus all your efforts into lateral and you'll get it next time.
Yea -- I won't be failing this one twice... for good or bad I'm going to suffer again studying for weeks on end to make sure I don't EVER have to take this exam again.

Damnit. Failed Lateral (Bridges) for the 2nd time. Passed all 3 PM essay problems. Got slammed on the AM multiple choice again.

So you got acceptable on all the essay's? I struggled on the afternoon bridges essays...mostly second problem

I thought the morning multiple choice was hard as well

So you got acceptable on all the essay's? I struggled on the afternoon bridges essays...mostly second problem

I thought the morning multiple choice was hard as well
Yeah. Acceptable on all 3 essays this time. 2 Acceptables and 1 Improvement Required last April (2012).

I had been in exactly the same situation, failing bridge Lateral twice because of morning section. But this time I dissected every problem in SEAOC Structural/seismic Design Manual Volume 1 and some examples in Steel Seismic Design Manual and it worked. Maybe you can try these too next time and I believe you will get through.

I had been in exactly the same situation, failing bridge Lateral twice because of morning section. But this time I dissected every problem in SEAOC Structural/seismic Design Manual Volume 1 and some examples in Steel Seismic Design Manual and it worked. Maybe you can try these too next time and I believe you will get through.
Thanks for the advice Layman. I'll definitely give that a try.

Yes and no. An example would be in Illinois, my undrestanding is you can design any structural component of a bridge with an SE stamp, but would need a PE to stamp any roadwork? I am not 100% certain, but i think this is the case

^^ Yes, that is correct.

Some states treat the SE as an "add on" license to a PE license. So, for some states you would still need to take the civil exam. (WA, NV, and to a point CA is like this.)

Congrats Lungshen & tictac!

Failed lateral buildings for the second time but I passed the vertical. To be honest this lateral test is beyond difficult and having a 16% repeat taker percentage is horrible and it should open their eyes on how difficult this test is, especially at $500 per test! I struggled through the morning exam and I thought the questions were really not fair especially given the time frame that you have. Well here I come in October!

^^ Yes, that is correct.

Some states treat the SE as an "add on" license to a PE license. So, for some states you would still need to take the civil exam. (WA, NV, and to a point CA is like this.)

Congrats Lungshen & tictac!

But in my state (Texas) they don't recognize SE so I'll have to register as PE. What if I applied for reciprocity for PE in other states that require SE to be an add on?

The reason I ask is that there are people in my office that have taken the old SE 1 and became licensed as PE in Texas. They were then able to just take the California Seismic and Surveying exam to become PE in California.

But in my state (Texas) they don't recognize SE so I'll have to register as PE. What if I applied for reciprocity for PE in other states that require SE to be an add on?

The reason I ask is that there are people in my office that have taken the old SE 1 and became licensed as PE in Texas. They were then able to just take the California Seismic and Surveying exam to become PE in California.

I think most states had a provision to grant a PE (Civil/Structural) for candidates who passed the SE1 but I believe that once you passed the SE2, your title would become simply SE. I understand the rationale is that PE is granted for 8 hours of examination while SE is granted for 16 hours.

Under the provisions of the current 16-hour SE examination, I think all states treat the PE separately from the SE. Meaning that candidates who have only successfully completed 8 hours of the 16-hour examination are not considered licensed to practice unless they pass the additional 8 hours for the SE or pass the separate 8 hour PE.

I'm not as familiar with reciprocity, but intuitively, I doubt if other states will grant you PE if your examination history only shows passing the SE. Obviously, you would be eligible for SE reciprocity where you qualified.

In the case of an outlier state, like California, you have to pass the PE and CA Seismic and Surveying prior to becoming eligible for the PE. The good news there is, if you have a PE from another state, I believe CA will accept those results and you can now take the Seismic and Surveying examination at approved testing centers nationwide. So, I don't think you have to travel to CA to become a licensed PE. But if you want to be a CA SE, you have to first become a CA PE.

Back