April 2009

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevo_55

The Beer Baron
Reaction score
For all of you CA exam takers, without saying anything about what was on the exam, how did it go?

For me, I only had to take the surveying exam. It went better than last October, but there were a few tough spots for me.

Anyone else take it at the Cow Palace? What did you think about the cell phone that was up front going off?

For all of you CA exam takers, without saying anything about what was on the exam, how did it go?
For me, I only had to take the surveying exam. It went better than last October, but there were a few tough spots for me.

Anyone else take it at the Cow Palace? What did you think about the cell phone that was up front going off?
Kevo - Are you trying to become registered in all states? haha

^^ LOL. Maybe.

I just figured that I'll see how far I can go.

I only took the surveying as well...

First, I SWEAR one of the problems was faulty. I am pretty sure I was doing it right, but I could not get one of the answer choices. I think it was #8 or #10 in the exam... somewhere around there.

I honestly think there are too many problems for the amount of time we are given. I did not feel this about the other two tests when I took them in October (8 hour and seismic.) I felt I had the knowledge to do essentially all of the problems on the surveying exam, but the surveying exam in particular is ALL about strategy. I just wasn't fast enough to do all the problems.

I also did not appreciate the random surveying fact questions... information that I do not need to know for any other reason other than to pass this stupid exam.

I also only took the surveying exam this time. I agree the problems are very time consuming and some of them were poorly written.

Also did anyone else notice that all the problems were equally weighted this time (6pt/problem).. anyone have idea how that will affect the scoring?

I also only took the surveying exam this time. I agree the problems are very time consuming and some of them were poorly written.
Also did anyone else notice that all the problems were equally weighted this time (6pt/problem).. anyone have idea how that will affect the scoring?
I was wondering why it didn't say how much each problem was worth. I was told it would, for both seismic and survey.

^^ I seem to remember that as well. Atleast last time they had point values next to each question.

Maybe all questions are equal weight now? :dunno:

I took just the Surveying as well. I thought the questions were at a lower level of difficulty compared to Oct 2008. Which again means there is a hight possibility of higher cut-off score this time, may be a 200!? But, yes the instruction at the back of the test booklet explained that all the questions are worth equal points, regardless of whether it is a simple theory questions or a laborious problem. In a way it is good, becuase we can now estimate approximately how many questions we need to get right in order to make the cut-off. For 200 cut-off, should it be 33-34? What are your thoughts?

Thought the Surveying was alot easier then the Seismic exam. For seismic I had to guess on 8-10 problems at the end do to time. Surveying there we 4-5 problems I had no clue on but overall I think they were do-able.

What's up everyone. I took surveying only as well. The format seemed easier this time, but I was totally expecting to see the problems presented differently. I know it shouldn't really matter since surveying is surveying, but I was kinda thrown off my game a bit. I agree with boohoohoo, there was totally a problem that didn't look right, or at least the diagram didn't fit the answer. At work, we're thinking the cut score is going to be around 33 probs to pass. Whatever...

What's up everyone. I took surveying only as well. The format seemed easier this time, but I was totally expecting to see the problems presented differently. I know it shouldn't really matter since surveying is surveying, but I was kinda thrown off my game a bit. I agree with boohoohoo, there was totally a problem that didn't look right, or at least the diagram didn't fit the answer. At work, we're thinking the cut score is going to be around 33 probs to pass. Whatever...
Did anyone take the seismic exam? How did it go?

I passed all others, except seismic. I had to guess atleast 10 questions, and thanks to the proctor that declared end of time when there was 5 min more for the 2.5hrs. This happened to the candidates taking the seismic only exam at cow palace. grrrrr!!! Did anyone send the comment form to report this issue? Ofcourse I did send mine.

I took both exams, I think the survey was somewhat fair but there were 5 problems that even if you could figure out what they were talking about there was no way you had time to work the problem. They really need someone outside to looks at the questions and see if anyone but the person writing the problem has any idea of what they are talking about.

The seismic, what can I say without cursing..... nothing. Very unfair,

California really needs to take a look at these exams, 30% passing with a cut off at 50%. That is ....... What is the reason to do 50 problems in 2 1/2 hours??? That is not engineering!!!!!

I took both exams, I think the survey was somewhat fair but there were 5 problems that even if you could figure out what they were talking about there was no way you had time to work the problem. They really need someone outside to looks at the questions and see if anyone but the person writing the problem has any idea of what they are talking about.
The seismic, what can I say without cursing..... nothing. Very unfair,

California really needs to take a look at these exams, 30% passing with a cut off at 50%. That is ....... What is the reason to do 50 problems in 2 1/2 hours??? That is not engineering!!!!!
Yeah they are poorly written. Doesn't seem like they are testing you on basic knowledge, its more on how they can trick or confuse you. Some of the problems I bet I still couldn't figure out with unlimited time. All I can say is maybe I got lucky and picked a few right that put me over the top.

SUrveying was ok, nothing unexpected (that does not mean I shall pass) but Seismic was super hard. There was not even one question I felt was straight forward. Very unfair. I really think it was geared towards structural engineers. Hiner's review did not help me at all!

Guys who have taken Seismic before, what is the relative level of difficulty this time?

SUrveying was ok, nothing unexpected (that does not mean I shall pass) but Seismic was super hard. There was not even one question I felt was straight forward. Very unfair. I really think it was geared towards structural engineers. Hiner's review did not help me at all!

Guys who have taken Seismic before, what is the relative level of difficulty this time?

I passed my seismic last October. (It was the first IBC based version of the exam.)

I felt that it was ok. Harder than the Civil PE structural PM module, but something what a engineer with 2 years of exp should know. I may not be the best person to ask about the seismic exam though. I do IBC based seismic loads every day so it should have been easy for me.

Surveying on the other hand......

The issue I have with the exam is its not about knowing how to do the work, its about understanding the poor description they give and flying through the calculations.. that is not engineering and not how we should be doing our work.

I could live with complex calculations if they were clear in their request, but when you write the problem so it takes a few minutes to figure out what they are talking about how are you going to respond??

It seems odd that NCEES can put together a challanging but fair exam for the 8 hour but we have to endure a poorly written exam with only 2.5 hours to do 50 problems.

Seismic exam was as good (or as bad) as the oct '08 exam. Probably this time, I felt it was a little better just coz I knew what I was preparing for. But again, having failed the oct '08 exam with 2 points, I really don't know what to expect this time.

I completely agree with the Hiner comment... I think the seismic test was much harder than any of the review questions from the Hiner's book... and very tricky. From the 4-5 people that I spoke to after taking the test, it seems like almost everyone ran out of time and could not finish the last 10-12 problems.. including myself.

For those of you who took the seismic exam previously, was this just as hard as the last exam?

If the cut off is indeed 50%-55% for the seismic... does this mean you have to get 25-28 problems right to pass? Which means it may be possible to pass even if you skipped 10 or so questions... I am crossing my fingers!!

Back