Applying PE License in CA

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beautiful

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a quick question regarding in references.
I graduated the accredited engineering college and I worked for an engineering firm for 4 years.
I moved to CA in 2019 (less than 2 years) and I am working an assistant project manager for construction project.

I recently passed PE exam (Oct 2020) and I am preparing an application for PE license in CA.
But I was confused about the reference part. the instruction says I have to submit 4 references who are registered in CA.
All my engineering work experiences was in other states (mostly in GA & AL), not in CA.
I have some CA registered engineers who are currently involved the my construction project, but no one can verify my work experience in GA.
So my plan is to submit one reference from GA (for verifying my engineer work experience) and three references registered in CA (w/o verifying work experience).
Would it be okay?
I would like to hear some advises.

Thank you,

Hello,

I graduated the accredited engineering college and I worked for an engineering firm for 4 years.
I moved to CA in 2019 (less than 2 years) and I am working an assistant project manager for construction project.

I recently passed PE exam (Oct 2020) and I am preparing an application for PE license in CA.
But I was confused about the reference part. the instruction says I have to submit 4 references who are registered in CA.
All my engineering work experiences was in other states (mostly in GA & AL), not in CA.
I have some CA registered engineers who are currently involved the my construction project, but no one can verify my work experience in GA.
So my plan is to submit one reference from GA (for verifying my engineer work experience) and three references registered in CA (w/o verifying work experience).
Would it be okay?

Thank you,
@CAPLS

Hello,

Would it be okay?

Thank you,
Below is what is stated in the instructions related to this:

"A minimum of four references from licensed Civil Engineers are required. For work in California, references must be California Civil Engineers. For work out of state/country, references must be licensed in that state/country."

This is found at https://www.bpelsg.ca.gov/applicants/civilpe_errf_instructions_2010.pdf

Hope this helps

Hi All,

I read in board notes that at least one of the references should be a "Responsible In Charge". All of my references have already signed as either Supervisor/Employer or reviewed work. I asked on of my supervisors, he said the supervisor will cover the responsible in charge too. What do you think on this? Is the board going to make a problem on this?

@CAacf @CAPLS

Thanks

Hi All,

I read in board notes that at least one of the references should be a "Responsible In Charge". All of my references have already signed as either Supervisor/Employer or reviewed work. I asked on of my supervisors, he said the supervisor will cover the responsible in charge too. What do you think on this? Is the board going to make a problem on this?

@CAacf @CAPLS

Thanks
If your supervisor is a PE and signed off you should be fine. the key is they want at least one reference from a PE that was in responsible charge of work you did. as long as someone on your reference list signed and sealed work that you participated in, then they would generally qualify. in most engineering firms, a supervisor that is a PE qualifies as such.

If your reference was your direct supervisor and marked that on Part B, it will be accepted by the Board. If the technical reviewer has questions about the level of supervision, they will email you or your reference.

If your supervisor is a PE and signed off you should be fine. the key is they want at least one reference from a PE that was in responsible charge of work you did. as long as someone on your reference list signed and sealed work that you participated in, then they would generally qualify. in most engineering firms, a supervisor that is a PE qualifies as such.
Thank you very much, your comment is much appreciated. I got relieved now. Three of my PEs are my direct supervisors and they review all my engineering calculations, design and other activities. They all marked as Supervisor/Employer and marked reviewed work, they did not mark the Responsible in Charge choice. My forms are all signed/sealed now. So, as you explained it should be fine as far as they marked Supervisor. @C. Ryan

If your reference was your direct supervisor and marked that on Part B, it will be accepted by the Board. If the technical reviewer has questions about the level of supervision, they will email you or your reference.
Thank you very much for your comment on this. I appreciate it. @CaliPE

Hi.
So the entire process online now? I'm so confused with the process for California license. I had heard that it we needed to mail physical copies of the application, but I don't find anything that says so.

Hi.
So the entire process online now? I'm so confused with the process for California license. I had heard that it we needed to mail physical copies of the application, but I don't find anything that says so.
For California, all PE applications (with the exception of civil, traffic, geotechnical, and structural) are now completed online through the BPELSG Connect system. All other applications are still paper and need to be mailed to the Board at this time. But I would subscribe to the Board’s email list so you are notified when the other PE applications are transitioned to the online system.

Back