Anyone else a member of the secret Order of the Engineer Ring?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slugger926

Reaction score
It is so secret, I am not sure if we have any meetings, or what we are supposed to do. I paid my $10 for a ring and haven't heard back.

Should we take over the world or something? (like Pinky and the Brain)

:multiplespotting: :thumbs: :multiplespotting:

:deadhorse:

It's no secret; the US version is patterned after the Canadians who started it all. The Canadians have cooler rings, but they wouldn't let me join. I told them I was an honorary Canadian as I went to university above the 47 parallel and I'm partial to Labatts, but that apparently wasn't enough. B)

Just recently became aware of the Canadian thing from an engineering student from Canada. Is there actually a US version?

There's no meetings or organizational structure to it, it's just something to say you're in.

At my school, it was basically a way to induct people who couldn't make it into any of the honor societies into something.

It seems to get inducted in Ga you have to let the NSPE “induct” you, which means joining NSPE I think?

I saw some pics at a ceremony with a bunch of engineers standing in front of a “big ring” and they were handing them their secret decoder rings.

It seems to get inducted in Ga you have to let the NSPE “induct” you, which means joining NSPE I think?
I saw some pics at a ceremony with a bunch of engineers standing in front of a “big ring” and they were handing them their secret decoder rings.
Nope, you don't need the NSPE to induct you. You can probably contact the person on the link I posted above for membership. When we got our licenses in Oklahoma, they sent us forms upfront. If you wanted, you could just mail the form in with $10 (for the ring) and ring size, and you became a member for life with something else to put on a resume.

-------------------------------------

Who should be contacted for further information about the Order of the Engineer?

Order of the Engineer

c/o Ms. Paula Ostaf

P.O. Box 25473

Scottsdale, AZ 85255-0107

Phone (866)364-7464

FAX (480)585-6418

Last edited by a moderator:
If theres as many hobbits in this "order of the ring" as the last one I read about I want nothing to have to do with it.
I wear a ring around my neck that has been inscribed by my wife in Tengwar, the written Elvish language from J.R.R. Tolkien's books. She had to look for a very, very, very long time for someone who could inscribe the symbols on a gold ring.

You can join Elvish Society for Tengwar Linguistics or you can even find Online Tengwar Translator.

LOTR Rocks !!!! B)
gandolf.gif

JR

P.S: Whoops ...
18.gif

I think we should have a "ladies order of the toe ring" for our female counterparts.... :(

Ok,

I tried posting something like this this morning, but I don't think my work firewall liked it.

Where I went to school we had about 50% of engineering graduates would take the Oath of the Engineer, and about 90% of the ME's and CE's. I like the general idea of the order, but it is a bit corny the whole idea of remembering your ethics every time you hit your ring on something. To be honest it would almost be nicer to do smoothing like this for PE's instead of at the under graduate level. Sort of like the MD's with the hippocratic oath.

Now, when do we make the cool lock for the clubhouse that only opens with one of them stainless steel rings.

Have fun all,

John

It is so secret, I am not sure if we have any meetings, or what we are supposed to do. I paid my $10 for a ring and haven't heard back.
Should we take over the world or something? (like Pinky and the Brain)

:multiplespotting: :thumbs: :multiplespotting:

:(

I am also a member. I am actually proud of it, and where my ring. I also wish it was for when you are a P.E., but that would not apply to all engineers then.

I think it is cool, since you can easily spot another engineer in a meeting. less than half of the engineers in my compan have the rings.

Doh,

I remember what else I added this morning (before it got deleted by the evil firewall). I actually had my ring noticed in a job interview, by a fellow engineer. I thought that was pretty cool, but I didn't get a job offer, so I guess it doesn't get you too far.

And I too still where it on a daily basis, as do most other engineers I know who have it.

Have fun all,

John

Is this ring the one that I heard about my senior year, where they take metal from a collapsed bridge and made it into rings to "remind" engineers of our responsibility? I was thinking there was something like that that we discussed in our ethics class.

Is this ring the one that I heard about my senior year, where they take metal from a collapsed bridge and made it into rings to "remind" engineers of our responsibility? I was thinking there was something like that that we discussed in our ethics class.
that's the story I got from the Canadian engineering student

I never got one of those. For one thing, I can't stand wearing jewelry of any kind. Also, the last thing I had the spring semester of senior year was an extra $500 to buy one.

It's too bad though because the stone (school colors) was green and that is my favorite color.

SapperPE said:
JR, I have just gained an entirely new level of respect for you. I am a LOTR fan (books only, not the stupid movies), but I certainly would never have the guts to tell anybody that I have a gold ring with elvish inscriptions on it, even though I seriously wanted one for my wedding band (my wife summarily destroyed any hopes of that).
I almost forgot to show you a picture of it .... :)

Shot with MVC-CD500 at 2007-07-13

JR

I wear a ring around my neck that has been inscribed by my wife in Tengwar, the written Elvish language from J.R.R. Tolkien's books. She had to look for a very, very, very long time for someone who could inscribe the symbols on a gold ring.
You can join Elvish Society for Tengwar Linguistics or you can even find Online Tengwar Translator.

LOTR Rocks !!!! :th_rockon:
gandolf.gif

JR

P.S: Whoops ...
18.gif
my daughter speaks fluent elvish, now she can write it too! (if she doesn't already)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back