Annual Christmas Decoration Thread

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benbo

Reaction score
Who's got their tree? We're getting ours next week, a real one.

Do you go all out?

My wife is a Christmas nut. We have about 1/5 of our lights up and I'm already sweating the electric bill.

I'm sure my carbon footprint will triple this month.

Actually, it's funny. There is a power plant around here with a high heat rate and the manager tells me the only time they ever get dispatched is during heat waves and the week before and after Christmas.

Last edited by a moderator:
we got two up, pretty much the day before Thanksgiving. They're both fakes, pre-lit, so kinda cheating. One's in the living room, the smaller in the basement mainly just for decor in the rec-room. I gotta get our outside stuff up though, neighbors have beaten us to that. It sounds like a lot, but actually we really don't go too nuts with it, we just like having christmas stuff up early. The snow's been late this year too.

My wife put a wreath on the front door this evening, other then that we haven't gotten anything up yet. I thought about putting stuff out the weekend after thanksgiving, but it still felt to early. We'll probably put stuff up this weekend.

I put our tree up (fake) this past Saturday, the wreath is on the door, and the few light we have outside were hung... until they decided to stop working. Now they're taking up residence in L'Hotel des Garbage. We can't have anything nice and shiny on the tree as the cat thinks it's a fun climbing apparatus. Two years ago he managed to topple the tree and shatter every last glass ornament we had.

We can't have anything nice and shiny on the tree as the cat thinks it's a fun climbing apparatus. Two years ago he managed to topple the tree and shatter every last glass ornament we had.
I don't get into decorating, much to the chagrin of my family, so they decided to buy me a miniature fake tree that was decorated with some lights, small ornaments, and stuff that looked like long Mardi Gras beads (not tensil, not garland...can't think of the word). Anyway, they set it up in my living room while I was at work one day as a surprise for me. By the time I got home, my cat had knocked the tree off the table and removed all of the decorations. I was still finding ornaments under furniture in July. Ever since then, I have not decorated at all.

Our tree has been up since last Sunday.

I also hung a long line of fake pine branches (is that a "bough?") strung with LED Christmas lights around the eaves of our living room.

That's been up since November 2008..... LOL.

I put the lights up on the house and hung wreaths on the front & back doors. I put the (fake) tree together and the girls decorated it on Monday night. They also put all the Christmas-y stuff out in the living room.

Here's how the lights look (last year's photo):

100_0087.jpg

6.5' tree in the kitchen, 2' pink Barbie tree in Junior's room, and that's all they're getting. I didn't even want that much.

Tree, wreath and inside decorations went up on Thanksgiving. We have a firm rule in the house that there can be no Christmas music played in the house until the tree is at least being put up and that may not happen until Thanksgiving. So needless to say, that means I have to set up the tree so Mrs. Montebiker can decorate it on Thanksgiving and play her music. She now has her Christmas sheet music out for the piano too. I like to hear her play that though.

I have gone simple this year because Mrs. JR and I are heading back home to Florida for two weeks to spend the holidays with family and friends.

JR

We put the outside (real) tree up T-giving, lit it, and put a red bow on the top. Put battery powered LED lit wreaths in the windows the same day.

Last night, my wife hung the stockings, and I plugged in my 1968 Empire Plastics lit Santa. i had one as a kid and bought one off ebay last year. i love that thing.

I think we'll be putting up the indoor (fake) tree tomorrow. We have another one for the den, but we are kinda sporadic about when we put it up. takes maybe all of tehn minutes to put up and decorate.

I have to get lights. We like white and most of our strands died last year. Of course, I went out after Christmas to buy more on sale. All they had were colored lights, but at a buck for 100, I bought four boxes. I don't like them on the tree, so I guess we'll string them around the house.

I do need to pick up some white lights. Guess I'll hit Kmart after work...

i said the snow was late this year - we got bout half foot last nite, and its still snowing this am - kiddos preschool is cancelled, I had to open my piehole...

I'll pick up a tree from a farm stand we like in a couple weekends from now. I'll get that standing up in the living room, and may put a couple strings of lights around the house in various rooms.

I assume we'll decorate it on Xmas eve, which has become a habit of ours. Kinda gets you in the spirit of things. I usually leave it up until late January, giving me the option of having my birthday presents under the tree as well.

this year i promised my kids we would put up every strand of lights we own, were going for delightfully tacky look at our house this year.. my neighbors all do this classy wreath on the windows with lights on the lawn that shine towards the house, so my house looks like the average trailer you would see on the side of a country road compared to the rest...

Here's an idea.

(look at the house on the right)

i said the snow was late this year - we got bout half foot last nite, and its still snowing this am - kiddos preschool is cancelled, I had to open my piehole...
I see you got nearly 10" last night ... it's heading my way!

I am supposed to be looking at a perspective house to purchase tomorrow ... that should be interesting.
21.gif

JR

I see you got nearly 10" last night ... it's heading my way!
holy sh&t! I'd start running now if I were you!!! and whatever you do, don't pick up the soap.

(why were you watching anyway?)

:lmao: he's exaggerating, was more like 7.5" - pleas pass the preparation H!

Latest posts

Back