All ideas welcome, who all using JUST NCEES REFERENCE BOOK who still using literature

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sparky Bill PE

Senior, Master, Professional, Licensed Electrical
Reaction score
Curious who is still using some literature and who is just using the reference book? I would also like to know what people suggest that already passed it. 

Curious who is still using some literature and who is just using the reference book? I would also like to know what people suggest that already passed it. 

No one has passed the new format yet. It starts Dec 2020

I should have clarified, I mean even if you are a PE, I would like to know what strategies YOU would take if you were taking it now with us. 
Run away crying because computer tests are awful (I took the GRE in 2010 on a computer and hated life). So I have no real ideas to offer

I’m not using any other literature at this point. Any time I run into a practice problem that I know I have the answer in one of my resources, I do my best to recall it. Then go back to that section and read it over a few times to try to memorize it. It is so stupid to have to resort to memorizing stuff, but that is where we are now with this ridiculous handbook. 

Im just using handbooks and codebooks for practice exams. But when im solving missed problems, i pull out references to make sure i know what and why. Also using literature for practice problems. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Similar to what others have stated, I've added to my exam practice sequence.

1. First pass going through first 40 problems identifying questions that I can solve right away. If it is a code reference problem or not coming to me right away I skip.
  2. Second pass answering the code reference problems using my hardcopy code books. (if you have PDFs, that might be better practice)
  3. Third pass answering the more difficult problems I skipped in step 1 using only the reference handbook. If I am stumped with the problem given the reference sheet formulas, I skip.
  4. Fourth pass using other references to solve the skipped problems.
  5. Optional fifth pass if time permits to double check step 3 with other reference materials.
  6. Repeat 1-5 for the last 40 problems.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back