Airplane on a treadmill

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Unless the guy has a wingsuit on (which he doesn't), he should fall into the pool. His velocity is the same as the car and pool at the time of his jump, and presumably he would jump forward to get into the pool, like you normally do off a diving board. The only things that might cause him to fall off the back would be (1) extreme wind resistance pushing him back, or (2) a sudden acceleration by the car after his jump.

^ That might be true and all, but we must consider wind speed and direction.

Unless the guy has a wingsuit on (which he doesn't), he should fall into the pool. His velocity is the same as the car and pool at the time of his jump, and presumably he would jump forward to get into the pool, like you normally do off a diving board. The only things that might cause him to fall off the back would be (1) extreme wind resistance pushing him back, or (2) a sudden acceleration by the car after his jump.
I am not physicist, but I agree that he would land in the pool at uniform speeds unless some other force acted on the vehicle or the person as mentioned such as wind, acceleration/deceleration of the vehicle, or nuclear explosion.

What about a nuclear explosion in a complete vacuum?

What about a nuclear explosion in a complete vacuum?
It would destroy the vacuum whether it is complete or not. Kirby's are rugged vacuums, but I don't think resistance to nuclear explosions was in the designer's requirements.

It would destroy the vacuum whether it is complete or not. Kirby's are rugged vacuums, but I don't think resistance to nuclear explosions was in the designer's requirements.
I own a Kirby, and that thing is built like a tank nuclear reactor.

^ That might be true and all, but we must consider wind speed and direction.
Forget windspeed and direction... It depends on how close to the equator this camper pool guy is traveling. If he's at or around the equator, like the below diagram crudely shows, then he'll move down like the arrow shows. A flat earther's mileage may vary.

1624560999516.png

Yeah, it showed up way smaller than it was supposed to and it wouldn't let me delete it.

It was an argument between a couple people about whether people born blind would think that people being able to see is a joke and how they could prove it by having people tell them how many fingers the blind person is holding up.

Back