Air pollution control

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daywalker

Reaction score
Hey all,

I am currently studying air pollution control. I have been using the text written by Cooper and Alley for about a week now. The text appears to be thorough (lots of formulas); however, It appers to miss alot of the intermediate steps when explaining theory and working out sample problems. I am rusty, so I am finding it hard to grasp any of the information out of it. I tried a few of the sample problems provided at the end of the chapters and was able to do some; however, I am having trouble applying the formulas provided in the book. In other word its confusing. It seems like this book should be used as an accompaniment to a air pollution engineering class and not to learn the subject on ones own. I haven't been able to find a text book that kind of dumbs Air pollution down into a step by step process. Does anyone have any advice. Once I get the basics, I am assuming that the C & A book will suffice but for now I need something else. Perferably, a book with alot of problems. Any advice?

HAPPY NEW YEAR

I never had a college class in air pollution, either. I did get a 40-hour course as a professional, though, and I guess that helped prepare me.... It's really pretty simple. Combustion calculations form kind of the base of it all. Work on combustion first - it's basically just chemistry and stoichiometry, and then on the professional side of things, you often just get emissions factors from either the manufacturer or EPA's AP-42 database, and that greatly simplifies emissions calculations.

From there, there are really jsut two things (and I full expect to come back and do the Spanish Inqusition thing - "no, THREE things...) to learn about: One is emissions control technologies, and that's basically just a catalog of everything people have come up with so far to control emissions - the ENVRM actually covers all these pretty well. There are specific equations for each type. Then you will need to know about emissions and air quality sampling. Lots of correction calculations for percent oxygen, tempreature, pressure, etc. Just read the chapters and practice a lot.

Of course knowing the basics of the Clean Air Act is also important, but you can pick up what you need from ENVRM and Cooper and Alley, I think.

Handbook of Air Pollution Control Engineering and Technology by Mycock et al.

Yes, that's his name. And one of the et al's was my prof. It's incredibly dry reading, but good prep.

Found ENVRM to be quite sufficient for the air pollution topics. Make sure you read up a bit about regulations though (EPA Fact Sheets should suffice). Focus on air control strategies. Good luck.

Just a quick question for you guys. So, the Air pollution questions were loosly base on air pollution regs and combustion calculations? I'm just curious because the environmental problems in the Lindeburg practice problems manual and the ENVRM are heavy on HVAC and and Thermodynamic information and problems and even some other stuff that I saw on the EIT exam six years ago :reading: :reading: .

Not having a background in HVAC/Thermo and being really short on prep time, I took a risk by skipping those sections totally...don't regret it. Might have lost a question or two. Then again that was October09, may be different in April 2010.

I suggest working hard on the enviro-related topics and if you have time before the exams spend some time on HVAC/ Thermo. Depending on how much time you have, it always better to cover as many topics as you can. You never know what you will end up being tested on. Hope that helps. Good luck.

Back