After Exam Discussions

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Road Guy

Reaction score
Please be mindful of what you post, would hate to see anyone get in trouble!

The morning section was pretty easy, was able to pretty much confidently answer every question with 7-10 min to spare. The after noon not so straight forward, maybe 10-15 confidently answered, 10 was so so on and 4-5 I had to blindly guess on (mostly thoes tricky reaction questions), I did not have any equations in my quick reference to answer thoes 4-5, was able to answer one about a PFR volume but it required an integrel and the "most nearly answer" was more off than I needed for comfort. Some of thoes after noon questions were pretty strange, not really anything you can study for. I was excited that I was able to effectivly use the index in my perrys to nail quite a few questions that I otherwise would have had no idea. I hope I got enough to pass becasue that was not a fun experience, although I was less confident about the EIT and I passed that so I think I will be ok but I wont know until January. Do they typically take the full 12 weeks for the PE as I think I got the EIT back in like 8-10 weeks? It kind of sucks that they drag out the grading time so long as I was planning on taking an advanced engineering math course this spring but not if I have to retake the PE and late January is to late to withdraw from the course, so if the results are not in a few days after new years I may have to not take the class or see if I can work out a special deal with the univiersity.

BTW does anyone know if there is a crane equivilant for reaction engineering or know of a good reaction engineering book (like a really good one), the PE exam showed how much I was really lacking on reaction kinetics and it would not be a bad idea to beef up on it more even if I do pass, the sad thing is reaction kinetics was my best topic in school and my worse topics are the ones I use every day now at work so my strenghts literally flipped, how wierd is that.

Last edited:
I felt the same way. The morning was pretty straightforward but the afternoon section, although less math, was alot tougher. I was not expecting such a heavy dose of reactor design/kinetics and mass transfer/distillation. I thought just a few problems from each of those topics would show up but I was wrong. Also, there were hardly any fluids/heat transfer problems in the PM portion, although there were quite a few in the AM section.

As far as kinetics, I would check out "Chemical Reaction Engineering" by Levenspiel. I took it to the test and used it quite a bit. There is a great chart in one of the first few chapters with all the design eqns you need for batch/PFR/CSTR reactors for Zero/1st/2nd order reactions (reversible and non-reversible, constant density and varying volume).

I'm hoping I got 30/40 in the AM and 25/40 in PM but that could be a stretch. Guess we'll see in a couple months.

I felt the same way. The morning was pretty straightforward but the afternoon section, although less math, was alot tougher. I was not expecting such a heavy dose of reactor design/kinetics and mass transfer/distillation. I thought just a few problems from each of those topics would show up but I was wrong. Also, there were hardly any fluids/heat transfer problems in the PM portion, although there were quite a few in the AM section.
As far as kinetics, I would check out "Chemical Reaction Engineering" by Levenspiel. I took it to the test and used it quite a bit. There is a great chart in one of the first few chapters with all the design eqns you need for batch/PFR/CSTR reactors for Zero/1st/2nd order reactions (reversible and non-reversible, constant density and varying volume).

I'm hoping I got 30/40 in the AM and 25/40 in PM but that could be a stretch. Guess we'll see in a couple months.
Yea I had even beefed up my reactor section in my quick reference and there were some questions I could not answer in the PM section. The mass transfer questions were not to bad. I think I am going to order that book but it sounds more like a text book which is fine but do you know of a chemical kinetics reference that is like crane like a condensed 40 page spiral bound reference? The crane manual saved my butt on the morning section as far as time and it would have been nice to have a reference like that for kinetics where they have all the equations layed out left right and sideways so I am not reinventing the wheel during the exam, one of the kinetics questions I got I had to integrate and that was a pain.

Last edited:
Yea I had even beefed up my reactor section in my quick reference and there were some questions I could not answer in the PM section. The mass transfer questions were not to bad. I think I am going to order that book but it sounds more like a text book which is fine but do you know of a chemical kinetics reference that is like crane like a condensed 40 page spiral bound reference? The crane manual saved my butt on the morning section as far as time and it would have been nice to have a reference like that for kinetics where they have all the equations layed out left right and sideways so I am not reinventing the wheel during the exam, one of the kinetics questions I got I had to integrate and that was a pain.
I don't know of one, sorry. I did not get the quick reference, only the Reference Manual by Lindburg, which had a pretty pathetic kinetics section. Basically, I read through the first 5 or 6 chapters of Levenspiel (it is a textbook but is a pretty easy read) and made my own "quick reference" sheet with design equations for each type of reactor (batch/PFR/CSTR). This came in handy during the exam, although I did have to consult Levenspiel for a couple problems that weren't as straightforward.

I don't know of one, sorry. I did not get the quick reference, only the Reference Manual by Lindburg, which had a pretty pathetic kinetics section. Basically, I read through the first 5 or 6 chapters of Levenspiel (it is a textbook but is a pretty easy read) and made my own "quick reference" sheet with design equations for each type of reactor (batch/PFR/CSTR). This came in handy during the exam, although I did have to consult Levenspiel for a couple problems that weren't as straightforward.
I also did the same thing in my quick reference but when in the exam I found that the equations that I had in the quick reference did not help me all that much other than the PFR question that asked to solve for volume. Eh I am going to order that book and hopefully I passed the exam so I dont have to mess with it again. We will know in a few months.

Back