Advice for those in college

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ODB_PE

I'm not an engineer, but I play one at work
Reaction score
I went to a very large state university, so I'm not sure how much of this is available for others, but...

Stock up on everything you can use for your profession while it is free or dirt cheap.

I had free access to all the AASHTO documents, ASTM standards, etc. All downloadable as .pdfs - I determined what documents would be useful to me in my field, and loaded up. Also, you can usually join societies for free or cheap and get their codes at a significant discount.

As a student, I realize extra money is tight and this is not in your top priorities, but I figure I was able to fill my reference library with $thousands worth of codes. Of course, it is all for personal use and it is illegal to use for commercial purposes - but you can take stuff with you to the exams.

Same thing with software. AutoCAD for $200, Mathcad for $15 - great stuff is out there for you.

Amen to that. I even loaded up on software again right before I finished up my masters degree recently.

Sorta makes you wonder...if they can afford to sell all this software at those prices to students, why can't they do the same for consumers? I can understand charging businesses a premium because the business uses the software to more efficiently make money of their own. But charging Joe Citizen $1000 for AutoCAD or full-blown MS Office seems a bit ridiculous.

Amen to that. I even loaded up on software again right before I finished up my masters degree recently.
Sorta makes you wonder...if they can afford to sell all this software at those prices to students, why can't they do the same for consumers? I can understand charging businesses a premium because the business uses the software to more efficiently make money of their own. But charging Joe Citizen $1000 for AutoCAD or full-blown MS Office seems a bit ridiculous.

they want students to use it. students become similar with it and when the enter the professional world, they use the full version.

I am def. taking advantage of my student status, all the more so in that my college id for some reason is good thru 2011(!) - I graduate this May.

The downside of those student versions of Acad are that they have "educational product" banners that display in bold type around any & all hard copy printouts. . . further, if you work with that drawing in a non edu version, you still can't defeat the banners. I managed to by tedious application of my old 2000i LDD running on a virtual PC application (oh its a long story anyways)

My University library also has a crazy complete database compilation. . . including the legal 'lexis-nexis' database - so as long as i can still log in remotely, i have an incredible resource tool at my disposal - i gotta say, being a student at early middle-age ain't half bad

It's also a good opportunity to pick up cheap "old" edition textbooks. You know, the ones the bookstore won't buy back because they changed two paragraphs for next year's class.

Actually, eBay is a geat site for picking up old texts. I bought a ton of them when I was teaching. Generally, the stuff written prior to the 60s was written to impart knowledge, rather than impress other professors. You can learn from reading them a lot more than you can from the current 'impress your peer' textbooks.

Generally, the stuff written prior to the 60s was written to impart knowledge, rather than impress other professors. You can learn from reading them a lot more than you can from the current 'impress your peer' textbooks.
Says the :eek:ldtimer: of the engineering board. :p

JR

Hey you kids! GET OFF THE LAWN!!
Whippersnappers.
Speaking of whippersnappers, in grad school I overheard some punk kid lamenting that he had to take the wood design class. "When will I ever use that?" he said. I just shook my head in disgust.

Same class, professor was explaining section analysis using stress/strain relationships on a DOS based software from 1991 and somebody complained that it was an antiquated method to which the professor replied something like "has statics changed in the last 15 years?" He sure told that punk. Punk ass kid! In my day, my scientific calculator was a TI-55-II and THAT WAS THE WAY WE LIKED IT

TI-55-II.jpg

what nurse? time for my pills? ok......zzzzz......

I know what you mean, ODB.

One cool thing about older texts is they just give you the formulas you need, then show examples of how to use the formulas to get the info you need. No pages and pages of calculus based formula deriving and no solved problems, like a vast majority of texts nowadays.

I think that's why I like the MERM so much.

^ Actually, i gotta agree with you guys. Most of my favorite texts, and most referred to, are older engineering / surveying texts (circa 1970 & earlier). Many of these are possibly still in print, at whatever # edition, but they tend to be unecessarily bigger with mainly just more fluff than substance. Yeah, i don't need trig tables in the back (as the old ones have), but i sure do prefer their simple, cut-to-the-chase style of writing and layout.

^ I don't want a full blown partial differential calculus infinite series derivation. But I do like a little basic explanation of where the variables came from, how they're related, and what happens to the system if one is raised or lowered.

Otherwise I feel like I can only plug and chug a problem as opposed to being able to interpret and predict something.

My advice to you...

is to start drinking heavily.

Better listen to him. He's in premed.

Animal-House---John-Belushi-College--C10112414.jpeg

It's also a good opportunity to pick up cheap "old" edition textbooks. You know, the ones the bookstore won't buy back because they changed two paragraphs for next year's class.
I agree. I used my old Plant Design book as a reference for the test. It was one of my college books over 15 years ago. It was extremely useful in answering one of the questions in the PE exam. There is no way I would have found the correct way to do the problem using only the recommended reference books for my exam.

^^^ Sleep?? What's that??

I go through periods of insomnia. I refuse to take medication for it - I have seen how meds can easily turn you into a zombie. I much rather simply deal with the inconveniece of being tired.

I have had this problem since my teen years, so it isn't anything new. I thank Al Gore daily for the internet - if it weren't for him, I don't know what I would be doing with all of this spare time! :laugh:

JR

WOW.. my lazy ass sitting here in CA thinking: "damn its late, I need to go to bed or else I will never wake up tomorrow"

and here's JR in FL posting away (much more coherently than myself I might add)..

AND I know you will be posting several hours earlier than me tomorrow morning...

Back