ACI 318-05

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adrock

Reaction score
NCEES says that ACI 318-05 is a required reference. Do you think it would be okay to buy ACI 318-08 edition instead? I can get it for cheaper.

NCEES says that ACI 318-05 is a required reference. Do you think it would be okay to buy ACI 318-08 edition instead? I can get it for cheaper.
Appendix D has quite a few changes. If you want to take the risk, go ahead.

Bought it anyways at $100 its worth the savings. They may require ACI 318-08 for next April if I don't pass in October.

Don't know why they would ask a question that was no longer up to code or a method of practice. But you could be right.

While doing a structural 6-minute solutions practice problem using 318-08 i noticed the phi factor changed for a spiral reinforced column. It had changed from 0.7 to 0.75, and one of the incorrect answers used 0.75.

Here's some of the changes:

http://www.concrete.org/general/PressRelea...8-08release.htm

I think I will borrow 05 from a co-worker for test day.

Don't know why they would ask a question that was no longer up to code or a method of practice. But you could be right.
The test slowly phases out the older methods and therefore questions may be based on references that aren't necessarily the latest revisions. Agreed that test questions hsould not be geared to areas where significant changes may have been made to the codes, but you never know. It's always best to the have the references that the tester says the test is based on.

For anyone else reading this, I have ACI 318-08 and for the test, my humble opinion, is buy all your other references and keep this and the wood construction on the end of your list. The structure of these references makes them almost impossible to find anything and many of the easier parts are covered in CERM of Ruwan. These are an expensive way to hopefully get 1-2 more question correct. I think there is better ways to spend you money on all the references that are needed.

If you highlight the references to ACI 318 as you read the concrete sections of CERM you will probably be able to find what you need during the test.

For anyone else reading this, I have ACI 318-08 and for the test, my humble opinion, is buy all your other references and keep this and the wood construction on the end of your list. The structure of these references makes them almost impossible to find anything and many of the easier parts are covered in CERM of Ruwan. These are an expensive way to hopefully get 1-2 more question correct. I think there is better ways to spend you money on all the references that are needed.
If you highlight the references to ACI 318 as you read the concrete sections of CERM you will probably be able to find what you need during the test.

I saw at least four to 5 questions on my April exam referencing ACI 318, so it is really advisable to have it.

Back